Fuel additive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Kolar

Reaction score
Gonna buy some fuel injector stuff because im starting school again so my trips will only be like three miles a day. Want to make sure that everything gets clean and what not since the engine temp can't get to normal and they switch fuel blends soon. What do you guys recommend to use or does it not really matter??

I like Gumout Complete.

Be sure to change your oil regularly. Short trips- I would change at least every 6 months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Would help to take it out on the highway once a week for 20-30 minutes. Helps boil off the moisture in the crankcase and exhaust systems.

I use and recommend AMSOIL P.i. Performance Improver. One bottle to a tank of gas every 4K miles. Keeps everything shipshape, lowers emissions, most see mpg bump.

I have a similar daily commute. I add Seafoam to the fuel every few months and Lucas fuel treatment as well alternately. There's no real schedule to it, I just buy either when they're on sale, always have some on hand and add it when I get the feeling. The Techron fuel injector cleaner is supposedly good stuff, too and I grab it when they have it on sale but I haven't used it as often. Because I put few miles on the truck, I also change the oil every six months.

I use Chevron Techron at every oil change and once a year a bottle each of BG CF5 and BG Fuel System Drier. Fixes the ethanol deposits and moisture. Two years ago the Trac suddenly started running horrible and got a CEL, I took it to the shop where they dumped that stuff in and bam, problem solved.

Dean, our OE oil can be had for $4.45 a quart (case of 12) by using the Preferred Customer program. It fits your drain schedule. Bottle of P.i. is $8.75 on same pricing. Sales tax and ship apply. PM me if interested or see my website www.enduranceoil.net for more info.

That Techron is the shitz! Not sure what is in it, but this past Spring I put a little in the John Deere garden tractor,and the next day I had a drained gas tank and a puddle underneath it. The Techron had eaten through a couple of JB Weld patches I did several years ago to the fuel tank where it was punctured by an errant mole trap.

I had always treated it a few times a year with seafoam, gumout, or whatever was one sale at the time. However, that Techron stuff must have some real juice in it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Seafoam more as a lubricant than a cleaner. Not sure if it's really even effective but eh...I use it.

Chevron is the only brand of fuel I've ever used in the ST. Unfortunately, ALL street gas in Hawaii has an E10 mandate since April 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts