Front Hub bearings destroyed, what else?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Santana

Reaction score
Driving back from a deer hunt in Maine I got about 20miles from home and my hub assembly died a horrible death. There was not a lot of warning. When I left for the trip I would hear a whirrrr every now and then, and I kinda knew it was a bearing but I thought I would have some time.... Anyhow when it went I had to drive the truck for about 3 miles on a totally destroyed hub to be in a safe place to check it and see what was wrong. My question is what should I look for when it comes to fixing this. I went to rockauto and bought:

hub assmebly -$135

lower ball bearing - $32

Upper control arm - $90

Tie rod end - $23

I am also going to replace lower ball joint on other side just because I will have the puller. Do you think I need to replace anything esle or is this overkill? How about the shocks, currently I have about 85k miles and I changed to the Monroe Reflexs around 15k miles so they ahve about 60k on them.

Any advice would be great! Also is there a project for upper control arm removal and replace?

Joseymack

FYI..... I bought Wagner pads and rotors about 2 years ago for this truck. When taking off the tire to get to the hub I found my rotors, 2 years old, were RUSTED so badly I had to use a 10 pound maul to get them off. They looked to be in decent shape wearing evenly and they were coated in the back with anti_seize but the area/hole at the hub was badly rusted. I think this rust may have contributed to my bearings going, I also did not think they would sit on the new hub nmice and snug so I decided to buy new rotors and pads.

I got everwear hubs this time for $62- 2 year warrenty and new pads Wagners. The 1 time lifetime on the wagner pads from 2 years ago will save me about $40.... I will be on it tonight. I also will be getting new endlinks for the truck.

While I am at it new plugs/wires, fuel filter and transfer case oil change are in order. I have not yet done these at 85k I hope it rides better.

Joseymack

Latest posts