Front end noise when in 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark k 4

Reaction score
I put on the 4x4 high on today because I havent really turned it on since I bought the truck in March. Well the dealership I bought it from said that all the fluids were checked and everything was gone through and passed inspection. Well anyway I got what sounds like a dry bearing sound coming the front end. I took the 4x4 high off and put it back in 2wd. Sound gone. This is my first 4x4 and I was wondering if this is normal. Im kind of scared that the transfer case or something is dried out and the bearings or chains are dry.

Any input?

Was it a constant noise immediately after switching to 4HI? What kind of surface were you on? Could you tell if it actually engaged and was sending power to the front?

it was on a paved road. It was consistent with being in 4wd hi. Once I turned it off the noise went away . It feels like there is power going to the front

I believe everything you heard or felt while in 4HI was completely normal. That sound usually gets louder as you turn. Remember, it is recommended not to use 4x4 on paved roads. Gravel, dirt, mud etc should be fine. And never engage 4Low unless you're stuck in deep mud or snow.

Latest posts