Front Brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Cohn

Reaction score
Going to replace my front pads tomorrow. I am going to use the project posting as a guide. Question I have is should i open the cap to the brake resevoir? Also how can I tell if I need to replace my rotors? I do plan on having them turned. Any input would be useful

The cap is vented so to speak,, There is a rubber bladder that falls as the fluid level drops due to wearing of the brakes. Unless you have a need to get into the reservoir it is not needed to remove the cap. However, sometimes the bladder seals pretty well and it will provide additional force when pushing the pistons back in. So from that perspective it may help to remove the cap.

As far as your rotors go, if there are not DEEP gouges and you have had no to minimal vibration when applying the brakes, chances are you are good to go.

Officially, you should measure them to ensure they are within specs, but general appearance will give the answer just as well.

Best to open the caliper bleeders and push the old contaminated fluid out. Not good to push it back into the ABS system.

I agree with Coastie. I often do not resurface the rotors (if I am using the same type pad), depends on how they look and drive. The shop is supposed to measure the rotor thickness and compare that to the minimum thickness that is molded on the rotor. Some can tell by looking, some always measure.

This is about a three-beer job, but be sure you have it before you start.

They spin, you know.

If you are serious ...

The more accurate term is "resurface". This is done on a lathe and lathes, of course, rotate, or turn, the part. So the slang, which has become synonymous with resurface, is "turn". Either works.

lol I know that they spin, I had fun spinning them around when I had the tires off. I'm easily amused :)

That's why I didn't understand the "turn" slang, but lathing it makes sense with the term.

And now I know ;) Thanks guys.

It is often just as cheap to replace the rotors as turn them. I even had new rotors on a Corsica I owned turn out to be $3 cheaper than turning them would have been! Check the price on new rotors before you turn your old ones.

Beware of cheap (as opposed to inexpensive) replacement rotors. Some come warped out of the box (you get to pay for them and then pay to have them resurfaced). Some use less substantial materials and don't last. Some are thinner and don't deal with or dissipate heat as well.

You get what you pay for.

A good set of new frnt rotors can be had for about $160.00, shops in my area charge $15.00 each to turn used rotors.

A reputable shop will before turning, measure them and ck them for runout, if they can be turned and remain in spec, they will be as good as new.

All rotors are made out of cast iron.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best Rotors I found are at Napa Auto Parts.

Made in Canada and compared to the Chinese ones from Autozone, well worth the money.

Tom