Front Bearing Hubs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gamble

Reaction score
My wonderful 2002 ST has just peaked 113k miles. The first thing I heard was a growling from the left front wheel when taking turns. It's not the clacking of a half shaft. It sounds more a low growl and doesn't take much turn pressure to cause it. :angry:

I see complete hub sets listed on eBay for 128 and 209 for a pair. Anyone have experience with the aftermarket parts in this regard? I got a quote of $530 from a dealer for the same thing.

Thanks in advance!

Larry

Price Autozone, Advance Auto, and Rockauto.com.

The job is not that hard to do. Use my balljoint project to figure out how to remove everything. once you have it to that point, it is only 3 bolts and 1 wire connection for the ABS sensor.

Tom

I've done my own maintenance since I got it. But, I got floored by the cost I got quoted for parts.

I did check out your project. Any torque values to be aware of?

Thanks,

Larry

I just did my left front hub assembly on Monday. Woppy did a great project that is very helpful and takes you through step by step everything you need to do. I called the local Ford dealer and they wanted $276 just for the left side. I got an aftermarket part from Autozone for $129. You will also need a 32mm axle socket to remove the nut on the axle. I also rented this from Autozone. Woppy told me in an email that he got his hub assembly from one of the sponsor's here, Wall's Ford. I don't remember the exact price, maybe he will chime in, but it wasn't much more than what I paid at Autozone. The hardest part for me while doing this was the actual removal of the hub itself. I had to pound the crap out of it before it came off. Anyway, any questions, you can shoot me an email. The one in my profile works. Woppy was also a big help when I emailed him.

FYI: look for a hub with an american made bearing in it. the chinese made bearings are junk and you probably with change it a lot sooner. tom.

I just had both front hubs/bearings replaced on my 2004 (with only 28,000 miles on it :angry:) this week by local Ford Dealer, total coast was $698, the hubs themselves were $209 each. If I had done the search on here before I agreed to have them fix it I certainly would have ordered the parts myself and either tried to do the work myself or more likely had a local shop do it for me. Would have been half the cost. I'll know better next time. I would have ordered ones with the lifetime warranty, seeing that I likely will have my ST for quite some time. My local Ford dealer charges almost excatly double for labor than what many of the local garages do. I have seen others post paying much more to get the hubs replaced so maybe I should consider myself lucky.....no I consider myself stupid for not checking on here first before I gave the dealer the go ahead.

Adam

Latest posts