ford goes from one extreme to the other

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcobra302 78

Reaction score
after dropping the st and ranger, ford says the new global ranger is to big and would compete with the f 150 for sales. so no sport trac or ranger for us. now they are looking at going in the total opposite direction and give us a truck that will have half the capability of the st and the ranger. wtf?

Sorry, I have always loved owning Ford's but they're digging their own grave. If they brought the Global Ranger here it would out sell the F-150 because of the options and drivetrain combo's that it would come with plain and simple. It's time for Ford to bring back a midsize truck, hell Chevy's redesigning the Colorado. Wake up Ford.

On a side note, I note it's against the Sport Trac code but I looked at a Ridgeline at the International Auto Show here in Pittsburgh last weekend and really liked it, especially the bed trunk and tailgate. I'm still on the hunt for a new vehicle for Carol and since Ford overprices their vehicles and killed off the ST I'm forced to look elsewhere.

The new ridgeline is pretty sharp looking, not even close to changing vehicles yet but if i had to i am pretty sure it would be a Ridgeline with what i have seen so far.

I saw a Tacoma 4dr, 4x2 sport. Seen one in silver like my Trac. Looks good to me.

The problem I have, is. After an in depth investigation by the media, 2yrs or more ago.. Toyota, pays almost no federal income tax. The media explained the loop holes, in 2011.

I cant recall the loop holes or explain them, but. After overhead and reinvestments. Toyota sends over 98% of the profit made here, back to Japan, without paying their share of taxes. According to the article on the news show (maybe dateline??) They have been in hock to the IRS for more than 10yrs. using all their powers to stay that way.

The article said, USA and other forgien makes, come nowhere near the crap toy has done. Avoiding paying taxes. Unless someone in power at that media hates toy, and they lied. I honestly watched the issue. I was very confused, how that could happen for sooo many years. To hear that, well.......

Maybe our feds, still feel sorry for droping the big one on them...:bwahaha:

I havent heard anymore about it since that one time.

BTW, the ridgline has a gooffy nose, IMO........:cheeky:

I could live with it. It would have to get 32+mpg, remove the roll bar, put the steerning wheel on the other side, lower it a few inches, ecoboost engine, new grill, and a roof rack.

With $4 gas a reality, Ford will sell these mini-trucks like hotcakes.

Our salvation will come when the next generation of F-150s is downsized to a Sport Trac size or smaller. With Obama's mandate of 54.5 MPG AVERAGE fleet MPG to automakers by 2025, you can bet the current generation of full-size pickups will be the last. (54.5 is higher than the Prius- so if you want an idea of what we will be driving- look to Fiat's cars and look to the pickups that are available in Europe.)

Ford is just preparing for the inevitable. I applaud them for working on it now, and not waiting until the last minute and giving us half-engineered vehicles that perform poorly like they did in the '70s.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing that I don't understand is why do they all look the same? :banghead: can't someone get some better design on the front at least

The real problem is that what used to be a half ton pickup is now bigger and more capable than one ton trucks were when I bought my first new truck back in 1977. Why do we need an F-150 that can tow 11,300 lbs? If a rancher or construction company needs that kind of capability they should be buying a Super Duty. The end result is that the average consumer who wants a reasonable sized truck with the ability to tow 6 or 7000 lbs is SOL, at least from Ford. And the real kicker is that Ford already builds that truck for the rest of the world but refuses (or is that afraid) to sell it here. I've pretty much had it with Ford's arrogance and that is sad considering that I have never owned anything but Fords. :angry:

"The end result is that the average consumer who wants a reasonable sized truck with the ability to tow 6 or 7000 lbs is SOL, at least from Ford"

thats my point exactly. my 09 with the 4.6l is perfect. i don't need a "mini" truck or an f150.

the next gen f150 will either be the same size or bigger. they are going with the eco-boost, lighter frame and lighter body materials. check out the atlas concept for a good look at the next f150

Gavin, lets not drag the Edge into this. Besides, there are a few people(from here) who bought one because the ST wasn't available. So, its a little shorter and it only has a 305HP V6 and AWD. the roof is made of glass, comes stock on 22's. LED lights abound, HID headlights, full leather and 3 LCD screens in the dash! All of this and it gets 20mpg around town. Guess I'm prejudiced, go check out www.fordegdeforums.com, you might notice a few familiar names! Love ya man! Bob

[Broken External Image]:

Sorry guys but the Atlas concept is a joke. I have never read any reputable source that says there is any ground breaking technology, especially none that would result in any meaningful weight reduction. Yeah, Ford has leaked info about the next gen F-150 losing 700 lbs, etc. but the Atlas is not that truck. The only purpose for the existence of the Atlas was to draw attention away from the new GM half ton trucks at the NAIAS. None of the major manufacturers is going to go out on any limb and introduce something that is less capable than their competition. Ford will not give us a more sensible size half ton until GM and Fiat do it too and no one will do it until the CAFE requirements force them to.

Gavin, lets not drag the Edge into this. Besides, there are a few people(from here) who bought one because the ST wasn't available...

Bob, nothing personal to Edge owners. If you like your little stationwagons, that is fine. Yours is by far the best-looking one I have ever seen. However, it is not the vehicle for me-.

With the coming EPA standards, the demise of the pickup is much closer than we might think. To meet these standards, the full-size car is gonna have to be shrunk to be smaller than today's Fiesta. There are limits to efficiencies and laws of physics to abide by. Again, look toward Europe if you want to see where the government is taking us. Of course, $4.00 a gallon gasoline (with the promise on CNN this morning that it will soon be $4.50/gallon) is not helping. As the economy continues to erode earnings and good-paying jobs are becoming rarer and rarer, the world will be a whole lot different in 10-15 years than it is now.

Econobox cars and trucks- here we come! :fire:

Latest posts