Ford Gen 1 rear diff repair kit info?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Hare

Reaction score
I've searched but can't find the thread that talks about the kit to fix the rear diff whine problem. Can somebody point me int he right direction? Thanks in advance.

Looking for approx. costs and the kit part number.

I can't take the noise any more, I'm getting it fixed.

regards,

Robert

Does such a thing exist?

If the ring and pinion gear interface is such that they create noise, masking it will not reduce or slow the wear; the pattern is set. Might be time for new gears. Typically ~$500.

Yes, Ford put out a kit because of a factory defect in rear diff. Part of the defect was the whining noise and I think possibly failure. It probably is gears in the kit, but it specifically addressed the defect.

A kit does exist.

The parts are hundreds of dollars. Ford quoted me $2100 to do the job this year.

I instead took it to a local rear end shop who installed a full "Master Bearing" kit in my rear end, reusing the ring, pinion, and carrier/carrier internals. Got it fixed for $450.

THE NOISE IS GONE! I wish I had done it years ago! I've put about 1000 miles on it since rebuild and it is still silent.

Go this route. Just get a reputable shop to install all new bearings and seals and you'll be on your way!

My past experiance is. The whine I have had in various cars. Has been the pinion bearing. My trac is starting to whine at 40mph and go's away above that. I will wait until it is anoying then go to a reputable shop, not ford.

At ALL speeds? TSB for 5R55E first and second gear tranny whine. Very loud on my 2005.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=131011

If it is the differential, which it probably is, the above is the TSB. Get the bearings replaced and you'll be on your way. A reputable differential shop can show you the issue when disconnected.

Did the full rear axle replacement for about $1200 at AAMCO - with a used one with about 60,000 miles on it. But hey, still have the original engine and transmission and the odometer reads 360,000 miles

Latest posts