Ford Fusion vs. Toyota RAV4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biznaga

Reaction score
Looking to get another vehicle for the wife and me. I have narrowed my choices to the Toyota RAV4 and the Ford Fusion.

You guys have anything, good of bad, to say abou either?

Probably looking to get the wimpy 4 cyl in each as the ST has all teh power I need for other uses. Looking for econmy in the new car.

Got to ride from Auburn to Mobile in a new Rav4 (there and back, about 4 hours each way) and I was surprised at the room. I'm 6'4" 270, and I was very comfortable in the front seat (I was not comfortable at all in the back seat). The ride was quiet and smooth. I really liked it.

Oh, and it handled my boss' driving over curbs like a champ, even with 5 people and luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a rather strange combination. 4 door car vs. a small SUV. The Fusion is supposed to be one heck of a car. Beats the Camry, though that is not a major achievement.

No comment about the RAV4.

Tom

Not a manufacturer bias here, as I have owned a Toyota Tundra, but I had had found that the Hyundai Santa Fe and Tuscon both offered more features at a lower price than the RAV4 and has the 10 yr-100,000 mile warranty. Personally owned a Santa Fe and found it flawless, dependable, and pulled a camping trailer with it. Santa Fe's are now manufactured in Alabama.

That is two different vehicles.

Fusion-Accord-Camry

Rav4-Escape-Trail Blazer

I like the Fusion, but a pain to but my shop supplies in it. So, a small SUV would win over it. Do you have a dog? Easy to have the dog in the SUV than the Fusion.

We got rid of our old Expedition about a year and a half ago and got the RAV4. We love it. It's got a whole lot of power (will run circles around anything mentioned above), handles great and gets good gas mileage. Of course we got the 6 cyl, don't know about the 4. It's one of the highest rated vehicles out there My only gripe is that the wife never lets me drive it.

[Broken External Image]:

If you wont a car, go fussion. If you want a small suv go Escape. As far as the rav4, not fond of any suv with the tire on the back door. The bunper is usless. Nshta has shown the cost of a rear bump can jump from $500 to $1000 in damage to the bumper vs $2000 to $5000 in damage to the back door if the tire gets hit. We have owned an '01 escape now a '08 Very pleased and the '01 was trouble free. They were both the xlt V6. Been getting 20 to 21 mpg mixed driving and 26 to 27 mpg highway on the '08. Also like the visibility of the escapes larger rear and side windows vs the pinched down look of the competitors.

we have a mercury milan, which is basically a fusion, w/ tghe I-4.... nice car, good power, the 5 spd auto shifts nice... i het 26mpg arounf town, and 30 on trips at 65mpg.... no issues in 16000 miles...

I'd gladly take the tire on the door to save interior storage space or even worse, one of those crappy half-spares.

We are looking at the Honda CR-V AWD. It looks hard to beat for the money and our local dealer is selling them at invoice + $100. It's only a 4 banger but is rated at EPA 27 mpg on the hwy.

If you think you wan the 4 cyclinder Fusion, DO NOT test drive the V6. I have one, and it is all I can do to keep from driving it like a teanager. This car has BALLS, will chirp the tires from a stop, accelerates quickly, and sounds GREAT. Only downside is its too light, cause it will cruise 100-110 easy, but doesn't feel stuck to the road at those speeds. Has a very nice ride a legal speeds.

My wife drives an '07 fusion (4cyl) and absolutely loves it. Her commute is 130 miles round trip everyday and loves her time alone with the Sat radio on. She's getting right at 30 mpg. The 4 cyl is the engine from the Mazda 6 and the only down side is it uses a cartridge type oil filter and can be a bit of a pain to change (oil changes are easy on the Trac and my Jeep).

Can't speak to the Rav 4 other than to say they look a lot better than they used to.

WOW! Thanks for the response.

I chose the RAV4 and the Fusion on three criteria:

1. I liked looks.

2. CR gave good ratings.

3. I can afford them.

But I think the Fusion won out. Just tryign to decide what model, ie, engine and tranny I want.

Many thanks to all.

I have driven trucks my whole life, but I went to a Rav4 this year to save on gas and I prefer the smaller size.

I love my Rav... it's the Sport Model with fender flares, 18" wheels, black interior with built in blue tooth for phone and JBL audio w/ sub...

Not to mention it has a kick ass 269 HP V6 Engine :)

I drove the Escape (too sloppy) and an Escape (blind spots, mpg, and acceleration was poor).

I am able to pull my boat and have a nice little cruiser at the same time. It also has a lot less body roll than other SUV's I have driven and it takes bumps very well! I love it! :)

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a new Ford Fusion and LOVE IT!! The 4 cylinder is impressive!! Gets 30-31 on highway and 26-27 in town..Trunk is huge!!

Latest posts