Ford Escape not starting. Please Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kunkle

Reaction score
I have an '01 Ford Escape with 3.0L V6 and it is not starting. Can someone help with a wiring diagram for the fuel pump.

-Symptom: Car turns over but there is no fuel pressure. Turning the key to ON position does not always cause the fuel pump to run for a few seconds (no charging of the fuel system).

--Battery is 6 months old

--Changed fuel filter (12/13/08)

--Changed Fuel pump/sending unit (12/13/08)

--Applying 12v directly to fuel pump, run the pump and car starts. Unplug direct 12v while car is running and plug pump back into vehicle wiring and the pump/car keeps running.

--Voltage at battery is 11.9v

--KOVO(Key On Vehicle Off): vehicle supplies 10.9v (assume voltage is higher when engine running do to voltage from alternator)

--Replaced fuse and relay for 'fuel' under hood

--No apparent issue with inertia Switch

11.9 volts at battery indicates to me a questionable battery or an alternator that is not charging the battery. When you crank the car the battery voltage usually dips to about 9 volts. With a weak battery the voltage at the pump at start could be even lower. If you can put a jumper on the battery, either another car or charger, see if it starts.

If /when you get it started check the voltage across you battery ( without jumper) and you should get about 14.2V if the alternator and regulator is working properly.

Bottom line I suspect the battery system (cables, battery, etc.)

Bounce over to www.escape-central.com and ask there.

Those symptoms don't sound familiar to me and I've had 2 Tribs (same as Escape).

I checked the battery when I got home. It is sitting at 12.2v, but I could hear the fuel pump and it wouldn't start. It would turn over and over. I put a charger on it set to boost and when the voltage was above 12.7v, I turned the key, heard the pump, and the car started.

I found that the ground pf the sensing side of the fuel pump relay is the issue. I extended the 4 connections on the relay and put the side that is not 12v (while the key is on) and connected it to the negative terminal on the battery. The pump now runs when the key is on (the whole time the key is on). I also see on the wiring diagram that there is a fuel pressure sensor on the tank titled 'Fuel tank pressure transducer Sensor'. They both are connected to the PCM and I will try changing the sensor.

Latest posts