Ford Electric Parking Brake?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
I'm considering exchanging some of my Fords in due time, but despite all the cool new stuff Ford is bringing to the table, I'm noticing some things that I really don't care for.

One of which is the electric parking brake. The 2013 Escape is shown to have a handbrake (much desired IMO over the 2012's foot/hand combination brake), which is a good thing. I do not care for some push-button electrical widget that provides features that can I do not want (hill assist) and works in an unpredictable and unusable fashion (how and which wheels it brakes), if it works at all (electrical). IMO an electric handbrake is like a slot machine without the arm to pull... :sad:

The 2013 Fusion, however, is shown with what looks to be an electric parking brake. While the Fusion isn't yet out and thoroughly reviewed (so only preproduction models have been photographed), I fear that the electric parking brake will make it to production.

Has anyone heard anything on this subject?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1201_2013_ford_fusion_first_look/photo_13.html:sad:

Its in a lot of our product, can't say I like it either as well as electric shifter, in most of the Lincoln line which if you open the drivers door shifts into park

It used to be an "emergency brake" for use in the event of failure of the normal brake system. Has the purpose entirely shifted to being a "parking brake" only? If so, why not just program it to engage automatically whenever the transmission is placed in PARK?

Kevin,

Our '01 escape had a hand park brake. I liked it.

Our '08 escape had a foot park brake. It sucked. Hard to use because mounting hieght, and angle. Plus the '01 had a column shifter. That gave you more console storage.

Ford did the same to the gen2 Trac. Its not a sports car why use up space with a floor shifter........:banghead:

I've gotten so used to the floor shifter that the column shifter is so foreign to me. My ST has one, and I used it almost exclusively for years, but now it's one of only 2 vehicles that I have occasion to drive that doesn't have a floor shifter. It is weird now using the column for me. I like that the ST has a convenient OD-off button on the stalk, something that IMO all column shifters should have.

The foot brake on my 2012 Escape is kind of a pain to use, I fully agree. I don't like foot brakes, but if they must be there I'd prefer to have them be push-on/push-off to use, or have the hand release up much higher. The Escape's is like the Gen 1 ST's, though IMO less convenient. On my ST I found it is possible to pop the release lever with my foot, but that's not much more convenient than reaching down for me.

Latest posts