Ford Dealerships

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAUL AGUILAR

Reaction score
Yesterday when i was riding home from work with a coworker he was telling me that he took his F150 to the dealer ship for a check up and they screwed him over on an oil change, air filter and fuel filter. The funny thing was that he said he got a call from his finance bank and they told him that since he gets all his service somewhere else he had to take his truck to the ford dealership for a check up or he would lose his dealership warranty. Well like a dumb as he took his truck in for a check up and they told him he had to get the oil changed and all the maintanence done there even though he had all ready done it a week before. My ? is can a bank or dealership do that, force someone to have their service done at the dealer ship or else lose your waranty. I have never taken my ST to the dealer for service should I?

thank you

One word, NO. They cannot do that. The thing is, you should always hold onto the reciepts (for oil, filters, etc, and any work that was done) and mileage when it was done. As far as them saying the warrenty will be void if not done by the dealer is BS.;)

I've never heard of a bank or finance company telling you to go to the dealer for service. Could've been a telemarketing company calling him and saying that just to get him to go to the dealer. Going anywhere else for routine service will not void the warranty as long as the proper service intervals and specifications of stuff were used and you can prove it. Keep your receipts.

thanks for the fast reply's :cool:

That's what i though, but that actually happening to someone i know may me double check. he said he also had a brand new air filter in his truck and they threw it away and put a ford one in. charged him $175 for the service(oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and check up). and it was all completely unnecesary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did he recieve a bottle of KY Jelly when he paid the bill?:D I would have had them take thier airfilter back and give me the one they took out. Tell him they don't have a leg to stand on with this.;)

hmmmm Sounds like a scam of some sort going on. Does the alledged finance company specify what dealership the friend had to take his truck to?

.... And I think Ford Customer Service needs to be made aware of that incident your friend had happen, so they can investigate. Maybe it has been happening to others.

Finance companies don't care...they only care that you make your payment. As Stonemiser said, keep your reciepts.

(make a copy the ink last longer) (I keep mine in a binder)

You can change your oil yourself etc as long as you keep documentation, FORD will not void your warranty. The majority of their customers are average working class with families that do their own vehicle service, such as oil changes, changing filters etc.

I had a service tech guy in Az tell me I had to get my oil changed by an ASE certified tech. "No, I don't" I told him. " That is not how Ford works on the warranty. As long as I keep documentation" He then agreed with me.... (DUH imagine that)

would lose his dealership warranty

You guys missed this part, if it is some kind of dealership only warranty that kicked in after his Ford warranty expired, then I supposed they could have whatever clause they want in there. So yes, they could cancel his "dealership warrant" but they can NOT cancel his Ford warranty.

If it is a dealership extended warranty. Sounds as if the finance company and them are in cahoots. Which maybe illegal. I would turn the issue over to the BBB and let them sort it out.

Well if his 1/2 half of the story is true then I don't need to hear the dealership's lame excuse. That's a total scam. There are a lot of dealerships out there without scruples, and not just Ford. A local Chevy dealership is under the gun because several people bought cars from them and when they made their final payment, they were told it was a lease and they owed some ridiculous lump sum or they would have to relinquish their vehicle. The lease clause was hidden in their original sales contract and none of them knew they were leasing because the payments were the same as a non-lease.

Makes you wonder how some companies stay in business.

TomT, I bet those folks end up owning those vehicles .

FORD the company, does not condones or want their name associated with any illegal activities by dealerships. They don't need that kind of publicity. If ever in question about any FORD dealership, call FORD customer service and let them know your concerns. They will get to the bottom of it. They only see the numbers and unless us owners/customers tell them what is going on...they can't investigate the problem.

There are a lot of dealerships out there without scruples, and not just Ford.

A family friend purchased a Toyota Corolla. He was required to sign a paper saying that he was going to get his oil changed exclusily at a Toyota dealership. He was required to use Toyota oil and a Toyota oil filter if he wants to keep his Toyota warranty.

I am not saying this because it is Toyota. I am simply saying this because it is something I tried to argue with the guy to make stand up for what is right. He chooses not to do anything about it. He has the oil changed every 3,000 miles at the dealer and keeps every reciept.

Yes, it can happen to any dealership anywhere. Not just Ford, not just Toyota. All of them.

What I originally was saying is that when one person says something, the other person sometimes hears half of it.

Tom

Not all Ford dealerships are bad, the one I deal with treats me great in all three departments, sales, service and parts. Heck, the last three body molded mud flaps I snapped off on my 05 F150 were given to me for free by their parts department because they had extras "laying around".

I don't have any problems with my Ford dealership either... I have 2 vehicles that they service for me, and I haven't had any major problems with them. (Downtown Ford - Sacramento, Ca)

Unfortunately, my dealership is the opposite of Olaf and Krash's. The sales is pretty good, but it ends there. The service and parts bite the big one. The wheels have to pretty much be falling off before they will admit there is a problem. We have complained to the owner and Ford and they are still a "Five Star" rated dealership.:wacko:

NO, NO, NO !!!!

Your friend should report the bank and the Ford dealership to the local District Attorney or the State's Attorney General.

That is a scam that should not be ignored. I'm sure other were caught up in this as well. Perhaps if he report it to your local, newspaper, TV or radio stations, they may do a story that will bring out others who got caught up in the same scam.

...Rich

Good idea "Richard L"

i know a lot more people who bought from this particular dealer i am going to check around and ask questions and if it is a scam we are at least let Ford know about it and maybe our local newpaper.

thanks