Ford battery life

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bill,

when i am down in fla. , i have heard this from a more then i expected.

i am curious or is this a "wives tale" :lol:

I lived in FL for over 20yrs.The heat causes the battery fluids to evaporate-why you should check the water more often in the summer.Heat can also cause chemical reactions to occur at a higher rate.Both can cause internal cells to fail.My understanding from my Ford dealer was that they shave 3 or more yrs off a battery life span when it stays in warm climates like Fl,Ga,Ar,Ca and others.I always have tried to get a battery suitable to the area.Die Hards and Motorcraft have heat rsistant batteries.But, I have only seen the Die Hard southern battery.

I read an article and test that Consumer Reports did on batteries about two years ago, they said that heat is as hard on batteries as cold and maybe worse. Actually many brands of batteries that are sold in the South are constructed slightly differently than ones in the North and have different part numbers.

In my experience here in PA after 5 years they're on borrowed time. Maybe because we get a good dose of heat and cold both.

Issues with heat range from evaporation to overcharging. Years ago you would drive through the desert and see all the people in the know with their headlights on(before drl days) that was so in the heat they wouldn't boil the battery dry from overcharging, while todays vehicles have much bettter control over the charging system heat is still the number one killer of batteries due to prolonged overcharging.

Battery in our '03 died after someone rear-ended us two years ago. Otherwise no problems.

FastEddie your right, I forgot about the warranty thing, same battery you just pay more for the longer warranty.

I'll go with the $59 84month option:D

Latest posts