Ford 2012 Escape Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
I have recently inherited a 2012 FWD Escape which is loaded with a few features (leather, sunroof, heated seats, basic Sync, colored interior lighting) but is equipped with only the NA 4-cylinder engine.

As far as I can tell, this is the same 2.5 NA engine that is in the much smaller and lighter 2012 Fusion.

The problem is that the Escape, with this engine, can NOT get out of its own way. The acceleration on this thing is horrible. Can anything be done about this? I have doubts, I don't even think that an Xcal tune could make a noticeable improvement.

It's actually worse than the acceleration of our 2010 4-cylinder RAV4. I didn't know that was possible.:bwahaha: This car, while nice on the inside, is horribly smoked by our "ancient" 2002 Odyssey. It is barely driveable, and having to often accelerate hard (as hard as this car can) to keep pace with traffic is killing its MPG.

Why on Earth would Ford put this underpowered engine into this vehicle? Also, why do they make a FWD SUV, that's almost as backwards as a FWD pickup.

The family members who bought it did so because it was the only one with leather on the lot, but this acceleration is heinous. I want to blame all those environmental standards instead of Ford, but it is so hard, despite my Ford Fandom.

Someone should have done this to the engineer who suggested putting the lowest-level engine from a mid-size sedan into an SUV: :smack::smack::smack:

On the plus side, since the car is paid in full trading it in for something better is an option we're exploring. I kinda want to believe that there's something wrong with my Escape and that other 4-cylinder Escapes have better acceleration, but... :sad::sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
why do you think the wife wanted out of the 08 escape we had.

4cyl/4wd would take a beaten from a prius :bwahaha:

X-wife has an '08 escape. 3.0L v6, 200hp. we also had and '01 same motor. In between the 2, we rented an '08, 4 banger. Wont hold a candle to the v6. If we had waited till '09. Ford jumped the HP to 240. Havent drove the 240 horse. The 200hp 24v dohc was quik.

Shame They didnt wait for the v6...2 different animals.

our 09 has the 240hp v6 and it it very quick . We get about 25 mpg on a regular basis and 27 out on the highway(road trips).

Trax,

We got 27 to 28 hwy mpg @ 75mph cruise set.

IMO, the 3.0 24v dohc. is probably the best NA v6 ever built. Will have to see if the new eco-boost is a contender in durability.

Latest posts