Ford 150 Raptor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anupam Routh

Reaction score
Hi! Just when I was giving up on Ford, The engineers at Ford produces Ford Raptor SVT. It raised my faith again in American Auto. Does any one have this? With thanks.

imo, a disappointment at 6,000 lbs and for 46K (car&driver tested), a vehicle that is no more then a pretty off road pickup. not to mention it is no faster then a gen2 V-8 trac.

unless you want a true off road vehicle (how many of us do?), way over priced for not much...

and what is with the svt badging?

Last edited by a moderator:
An SVT has to have something done to the engine, even minor work like the SVT Contours had, to be called and SVT vehicle...so to me...it's not a real SVT.

I think you guys are missing the point of this vehice. The F150 Lightning was all engine mods for fast running. The purpose for the raptor was almost 100 percent ride, handling, off road capability. True it uses the native 5.4 liter triton engine as its power. But it was not designed for street racing. It can jump dunes or hills at 50 miles per hour. This is exactly why the sales guy at ford said "they should have put a supercharger in it".

IMO that would have increased heat in the engine compartment which would have a negative impact on the hard driving it was intended for.

It may be as Fast as a 4.6 STrac, however this thing is more off road, and the ST is really not for running baja dunes at high speeds.

Go look at one up close, look at that dang skidplate under the chassis and the shocks that it comes with.

Ok..I guess we can say that SVT people are adding another direction to what they do.

I would hope that a 6.2 will beat a 4.6...oh and the 6.2 is not an SVT engine, it is the new engine that is replacing the 6.8 V10. If they decide to stuff it in the Raptor that would be cool.

That thing is unmatched by any production truck ever made. Saw they are testing a supercrew version. That might be my next vehicle. The fact that it is only a few thousand more than an FX4 is amazing. It would cost a large bundle of coin to match the capability of a Raptor starting with a regular F150. That thing rocks!! The new engine will really finish it off.

i am sure these will fly out of the showrooms :huh:

again, how many people need this type of off road capabilities

again, how many people need this type of off road capabilities

There's that word "need" rearing its ugly head again...:lol:

How many people "needed" the neck-snapping, off-the-line and handling capabilities of the SVT Lightning, Contour SVT, Focus SVT, SVT Cobra, or the GT500, or the SHO Taurus, or the ZO6 'Vette? It's not about the need, nor even the profitability for the manufacturer. It's about building a "halo" vehicle to draw a$$e$ to showrooms to buy the regular models.

andy,

that is a huge investment just to lure people into the showroom.

imo, i just don't think it's going to work for ford. they want to kill the trac, and then they come out with the raptor. i am pretty certain the trac would far out sell the raptor.

There's that word "need" rearing its ugly head again...

Future quote of Gary S when Toyota copycats the Raptor.

toyota really outdid themselves on this new offroad truck. trd does a perfect job of the best handling of all. toyota hit a grand slam.

We know if it were a Toyota idea, this would be the greatest idea every thought of. He "no's" I am right.

Tom

i personally think the Raptor is sweet and i cant wait to see the 6.2L or even test drive one...

and SVT... if i remember correctly is Special Vehicle Team... i dont see anything in there that says the Raptor cant be a SVT vehicle because its not like a Lightning or has engine mods or w/e

Its its own "special" vehicle... made for a specific purpose like that of the other SVT lineup.

I do believe some of us have SVT tags on STs... but they arent SVT vehicles and no one gets flamed for that... so why flame ford when they create purpose build off road truck for the SVT line...

:rolleyes:

My local dealer had 5, sold them all in less than a month. Salesman said that was all they would get till after the first of the year when the 6.2L comes out.

I test drove a black one, very sweet. With the 4.10 gear and the low first gear of the 6 speed, it moves out good.

The 6.2 should really be nice.

tom,

not so sure what you are saying :wacko: if you read what i was saying, i don't think there is that much of a demand for that type of vehicle (raptor)

but i do "no" is that toyota makes sure there is a demand for a specific vehicle before they put it out to the market. i.e.: fj cruiser

just a smater way of moving foward......

that is a huge investment just to lure people into the showroom.

That's true, Gary, but it's a common business practice in the auto industry. That was exactly why high-end, or limited versions of some models are produced. SVT versions of the Focus, Contour, F150, Ford GT, Cobra, GT500, and the SHO Taurus, Mercury Marauder, etc. more often than not bring people into the showrooms who end up buying a lesser trim level of the same vehicle.

andy,

it just sux that they kill the trac and waste money on the raptor that will sell no where near the units that the trac did.

Mike C hit the nail on the head. It is an amazing vehicle. No it doesn't have a blistering fast powertrain. It's strengths are in other aspects. The Raptor is the real deal. It's not a traditional SVT vehicle but it is awesome.

Latest posts