For the aviators out there

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nKU0uQki5Dc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nKU0uQki5Dc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Eddie, holy cow is that sweet!! P51, P40, Hercules, F18. Wait, let me put my tongue back in.... OK, question, was that double fuselage a Bert Rutan plane? I think I remember seeing that somewhere. Very nice, very nice. Bob :cool::cool::cool:

Awesome video, Eddie!

Man, I would've loved to have been there in person. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
super vid Eddie, my uncle bought a P51 in 1951, surplus, 600 bux, he is 92, still has the thing parked at palo alto airport.

in the late 50s, we used to take that puppy to harris ranch , have lunch, than fly back, thing burned 60 gals an hr of av gas, thx for posting.

Also, took a ride in a pitz 1973, aerobatics, got real sick, never again:eek:

dear lord, im 18 and in the process of getting my private pilots license, bring home A's and get flight hours... i literally got an adrenalin rush watching that video! when the A10,P51,P38, and MIG flew by in formation i think i about passed out, great video, thanks for posting it up!

Ed- In a word, AWESOME. Attended the "Blues on the Bay" Airshow in 2007 and received "Top Brass Chalet" seating as a birthday gift. (Eight pics in my library)

Best experience ever, beyond words. Remember my eyebrows and mustache getting "singed" with the the "Wall of Fire" demonstration. (Least memorable)

P.S.- Many are not aware Kaneohe Naval Air Station is where the FIRST bombs were dropped on Dec. 7, 1941. (Mitsubishi Zeros came from the North)

Known today as Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCBH) According to records, NAS was attacked 8 minutes BEFORE Pearl Harbor. 18 USN casualties, 2 civilian, and 69 wounded.[Broken External Image]:

Beautiful.

And Graham, I'm 43 and had the same reaction. I'm sending it to my dad who is 77 and an old US Army fixed-wing and rotor pilot from the 50's and 60's, I'm quite sure it'll be the same for him. If you're lucky, the thrill never goes away.

Ok, I can't figure this out. I live in WA, we have two large military bases here, BUT WE CANT SEEM TO PUT TOGETHER AN AIR SHOW!

I did some special inspection on our army base here, and was able to get close enough to see a few warthogs take off, and a few helo's, but every year, I call up wondering if there are ever going to do an airshow, and "not at this time" is the usual response.

It was so nice to see some of those planes (though, helo's are my draw), especially the mig, A10, and P51 flying along, together!

Thanks for the vid, and props to the men and women who have flown those during times of war.

Thanks Eddie, best 5 mins I've spent at work this week!! I love Aviation :D

when the A10,P51,P38, and MIG flew by in formation i think i about passed out

Pretty sure that was the same F86 Sabre that appears later in the video (at 2:14ish)

And I think TRACet Paul was right about it being the Virgin Galactic White Knight Two.

One thing that gets to me about American airshows is that despite the fact they usually show the P51, P40, and the B17 (the P38 was a nice surprise!!), they RARELY show some of the other aircraft from WWII.

Being Canadian, I suppose I have a (very) soft spot in my heart for aircraft like the Hawker Hurricane, the Supermarine Spitfire, and the Lancaster. If you've ever seen a Lancaster in real life, it truly is a thing of beauty. There are only something like 3 still flying, 2 of which are in Ontario :cool: I'm lucky enough to have seen it do a few flybys. Some of which were a complete surprise to me!

I have never laid my eyes on some of the German aircraft from WWII, but came real close to seeing an actual BF109 Messerschmidt fly and land at a local airport. Unfortunately it had some maintenance issues and was grounded :( Another German airplane I'd love to see is the JU89 Stuka divebomber. it has a very unique design and was one of the most feared aircraft of the entire war.

Thanks again Eddie.

Shaun,

That looks like a Lancaster in a fly-over at approx. 2:30 into the video, isn't it?

You're right about the usual variety of most air shows - that's what's so awesome about this video! I assume this is a single air show, and not a composite of several. I've never seen so many different aircraft from so many eras in one place before.

It is one air show. I have not been in several years but when I did go it was three years in a row. The last time was my dads 30th flight school reunion. It was nice to meet the people he flew with in Vietnam.

Airventure is not your normal air show by any means. It is a fly in sponsored by the EAA (expermental aircraft assc). The town it is held in goes from 20k people to closer to 800k for the fly in. As for the aircraft on display most of them are owned by individuals that fly in for the week.

As for aircraft in the three years I went to the show they had everything from ultra lights up to the heavies. WW2 aircraft from all countries are usually there. Never seen a BF109 but there was a JU88. I did see a Hawker Huricane give an airial display one year.

I strongly urge anyone that likes aircraft to go to either Sun and Fun in Florida or Airventure in Wisconsin if you get the chance you will not be disapointed.

EricP,

Great eye!! Yup, thats one of the last flying Lancasters in the world at 2:30(ish). Must have been too preoccupied with work to notice ;)

Thanks for the correction

Hey Eddie, why no pictures from the airshow right down the street from you? The Wings Over Houston airshow was just a couple of weeks ago. I get to sit in my office and watch the planes coming in for the airshow and then leaving afterwards. The north fence for Ellington Field is about 100 yds south of me.

I get called out of town that weekend, of course!:(