For Netflix users - Roku XD review

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
Well, my son is about to go off to college and we are poised with converting his room to a guest room. I just hung a nice, brand new, 1080p HD LED-lit, LCD television on the wall. Nothing too huge, just a 24". I didn't want to pay for another digital set-top box from Comcast to the tune of $9/mo, and the basic digital tier left a lot to be desired. So, I have been looking at on-demand streaming alternatives.

So, enter the Roku XD box. This allows all the Netflix "watch now" content to be accessed, and it is a lot. Also, Roku has a ton of other channels with a lot of content.

Here is my review of the box:

The price is right. At $79.99 for a 1080p capable box, it has an ROI of less than 9 months when compared to an additional Comcast outlet.

Installation was easy, even given the fact that I set it up for wireless usage and the unit is on the top floor of our house, the furthest point from our wireless router which is in the basement, on the other side of the house. If you don't want to go wireless, the unit has an ethernet jack.

The Roku box has channels, of a sort. Each channel has a list of on-demand titles, or on-demand games to choose from. Most channels, and most content on the channels are free, but there are some pay channels, and some channels that exclusively have pay content. Configuring the various channels (Amazon video, Netflix, etc) is typically a two-step process. You first have to add the channel via the Roku device and its remote and during that step you are presented with a code that you take to an internet-connected computer where you enter said code on the activation page of the corresponding website (Netflix, Amazon). These steps add the channel, and link your Roku device and account to the channel's content provider.

The device itself is TINY. About 1" tall, and less than 5" square. I mounted it to the back of the TV using black Velcro (heavy duty type by 3M), but since the unit is so light it really should hold with just about anything. Heck, while setting it up it was "held in mid-air" by its power and video cables only. I opted to mount the Roku unit to the back of the TV because the TV is mounted to the wall on a tilt/swivel arm. Given this mounting, the Roku unit is hidden. Cords to the TV are behind a painted cord cover...all pretty good and clean looking. There is no table, or rack holding devices. None are needed. The remote works just fine in this manner, even though line-of-sight to the unit is blocked. The remote is very strong and its pickup very sensitive.

When playing a program it is very impressive. It only takes a few moments to buffer a bit of the program selected, even across our wifi network, before starting to play the program. The limited testing has shown very good network wifi strength (highest quality), and no breakup or rebuffering when playing movies.

So far, I am very pleased. I have a 1.5' HDMI cable on order (wanted it short, and its hard to find short cables at the local retailers), At this time I am using the composite video cable (included) and 720p, but still, the image is really, really good. Can't wait to see it on HDMI.

So, if you have Netflix and you want to get the most of that service on a TV in your house that is not served by a game console, then consider this box. For those that have a Wii, an Xbox, or a PS3, you can already get Netflix streaming. But as I said, for those rooms not served by a game console, the Roku is pretty slick.

TJR

thanks for the write up,

I've been looking for something like this box for an isolated room upstairs......

:woot:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

At this time I am using the composite video cable (included) and 720p, but still, the image is really, really good. Can't wait to see it on HDMI.

Composite video cables are the old-school yellow RCA ones. You can't send 720p video through them. Component, on the other hand...

A question for you is why did you buy an HD TV if you're just going to use the Roku with it? You're paying extra money for parts you won't be using (HD tuner), and once you get the HDMI set up, you won't be using the extraneous inputs. HDMI capable 24" monitors sell for about half of the price of their HD counterparts. Even 28" monitors can be had for under 300 bucks, but a comparable HD TV isn't to be had in that price range.

Nice to hear that Roku is working for you. The monthly fees for new boxes are ridiculous and antiquated. Sadly, I don't subscribe to netflix :(

Anyhow, since you're the proactive sort, when are you going to start railing against Comcast's insanely low data transfer caps? All that HD streaming will add up.

KL,

It is composite RCA that it is being sent through, no doubt down-converted to 480p. The cable is the standard r, w, y, RCA type. I don't have the component or HDMI hooked up. The Roku is currently configured for 720p output, FWIW...

Wanted something with a tuner, just for the added flexibility instead of just a monitor, even though it cost a bit more. Wasn't sure at the time of the tv purchase that we would get the Roku or any set top for that matter.

P.S. The TV was full 1080p, 24" class for under $270.

TJR

TJR,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Funny you should mention this today, since I just received an email notice that the Roku XD box was going to be coming to Best Buy stores so you do not have to order them on line. I never heard of the Roku box before, but it sounds great!...I may get a couple of them.

I also only have one HD/digital cable box/DVR from Time-Warner cable (yuk) but it's the only cable TV.Internet service available at my new house. TW wants another $7.50 a month for eac additional box, plus taxes. I have the digital box/DVR on my 55" flatpanel TV in the living room but I just have basic cable in the other three bedrooms. The master bedroom has a 37" flat panel and in my office I have a 26" flat panel which I move to the guest bedroom when I have company visit. All 3 TV's have 1080p capability.

I have a Hulu account, but not a NetFlix, so I may sign up for them too.

I may need to talk to you more about the Roku box after I get mine.

..Rich

Richard L,

Yupper, the Roku has a "Hulu Plus" channel. I don't think I'll bite on that subscription for $7.95 a month, but if it were cheaper, or a few months trial for free, I probably would give it a spin.

Now, if Comcast put in an Xfinity (aka Fancast) channel for the Roku, like they have an applet for the iPad and PC, then I would be really happy. But, since they really do want to charge you another $8/mo for a digital box, I don't see them doing that anytime soon (ever).

I bought my Roku XD through Amazon.com, free shipping and no sales tax. That beats my local BestBuy, and I don't have to deal with knobs (know nothing, only bull sh!t) in blue shirts. LOL

TJR

TJR

I just ordered a Roku XDS through Amazon.com w/free shipping and no sales tax... like you did. I know what you mean about Best Buy...I hate to go in there except for absolute necessity. I think the last time was a year ago. I buy most of my electronics from Amazon.com, or TigerDirect...including my 55" LG flat panel w/free shipping (shipping weight was 96 lbs) and no sales taxes.

Is there a website for NetFlix and Hulu Plus (I just hav regular free Hulu) that lets you see what they have available for streaming video? ie: what TV shows, and movies are available?

(Never mind, I just went to the NetFlix website and saw how to look up TV shows, movies, actors, etc.)

Also, how does Roku know if you have a subscription to these streaming sites? Is that something you have to setup on the Roku via your computer?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
RichardL,

Netflix seemed to have worked hand-in-hand with Roku to develop the pseudo-standard for activating devices like the Roku player, the Wii, and other devices that have these player/channel applets embedded within.

The whole process of setting up a device like the Roku, or the Wii to use a streaming service from a web provider (like Amazon or Netflix) starts on the device itself. For example, when launching the Roku's Netflix "channel" for the first time, it will ask if you have a Netflix subscription (not much you can do if you don't), and if you do, it presents you with a short "activation code", something like RUG448, or somesuch. It tells you to go to a connected computer, and enter that code at www.netflix.com/activate (or somesuch).

What I suspect is happening is that once the Roku device is presenting the activiation code for a given channel or service, it goes into a listening/polling mode, hitting its associated service provider's website awaiting for activation. When you go to computer in the house and enter that code, the service providers database in the cloud is updated, and the polling that the device is doing obtains a confirmation that the device is registerd, handshaking occurs, and non-volatile settings are saved within the device.

This, technically, seems to be what is going on. The only possible exposure I see is that I guess one "could" try to activate using random codes, but then, there wouldn't likely be a device looking for that code to be activated.

TJR

Never heard of that acronym before.

I don't think I'll bite on that subscription for $7.95 a month, but if it were cheaper, or a few months trial for free

Executives at Hulu wanted to go to 2.95, but were shot down by the powers that be. $7.95 for their pitiful offerings is rather sad, and they're taking their sweet time expanding their list of compatible prices. Same reasons keeping me away.

The roku activation method seems rather spiffy, I had always thought you'd have to painstakingly "type" in all the info using the remote and an on screen keyboard. Bleh. Glad to see innovation at work.

Wasn't sure at the time of the tv purchase that we would get the Roku or any set top for that matter.

P.S. The TV was full 1080p, 24" class for under $270.

Good reason. How is 24" a class? If a class bracket consists of simply one size specification, there must be a ton of classes. Kinda redundant.

Anyhow, as TigerDirect was mentioned, and I mentioned hypotheticals, a simple search shows that TigerDirect sells a 28" LCD monitor with HDMI, with >1080p resolution for 260 bucks.

Though a reason for forking out the cash for a TV has occurred to me--better speakers. Even junky TV speakers are generally better than the puny 2 watt speakers that are default on these monitors.

TJR,

My new Roku XDS arrived today (was scheduled for delivery on 4/4/11 but certainly arrived early, so I am happy) My Samsung Home Theater System arrived late yesterday. so now I know what I will be doing this weekend...LOL. I had to pick up some HDMI cables, and an Oprical Cable to complete the hookup, so now I have everything I need for now.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I can tuck the rear speaker wires in along the edges of the wall-to-wall carpeting to get the to the other side of the room. I also need to sign up for NetFlix and I can configure and test everything out with the Roku box.

I will let you know what I get done and if I have any problems or questions.

...Rich

Richard L,

My short HDMI cable showed up today. Wow, what a difference. The Roku menu looks stunning in HD, as does the programming. My son is catching up on a bunch of TV shows he wished he caught the first time, most in crystal-clear HD.

TJR

I got my Roku box hooked up this afternoon and it works and looks great. I did notice that the audio coming from my Time Warner cable box is really crappy. Audio and video from the Roku box are great... My TW cable box is connected via Component cables (5 wire) so I think I may try connecting it with n HDMI cable..it may improve the audio quality ( I think the cable box has a HDMI port), My TV has 4 HDMI ports. I bought the Home Theater system because th sound quality out of the TV was so poor...but the sound from the Roku box is so much better, that I can only assume it's the fault of the cable box or the Component cables?

...Rich

RichardL,

The YPbPr analog component cables are capable of 1080p HD, and multi-channel audio, but are analog nonetheless.

You will get a better video and audio quality via HDMI, if for no other reason than there is no loss or translation from digital to analog and back to digital, which is inherent in component.

So, it's not really the fault of the cable box. If your cable box has HDMI output, and you have addtional HDMI inputs on your TV, then by all means, hook them up.

The Roku box is simply amazing, especially for the price, and I am 100% pleased with its wireless support and the quality of audio and video that the tiny little box puts out.

The funny thing is the absence of a power button on the Roku. It is "always on."

TJR

TJR, good write-up, thanks. It sounds like the Roku's method for linking a Netflix account to a device is the same as what is used for other devices with Netflix, as I did the exact same thing on my Tivo unit and on my Panasonic TV.

I do have to disagree with you on one thing you said, though...

This allows all the Netflix "watch now" content to be accessed, and it is a lot.

That has definitely been the biggest disappointment I've had with my Netflix online account, and checking some of the online reviews/feedback of their service, I'm far from alone. Yes, if you want to watch TV show reruns, it does have a decent selection--the most obvious exception being anything done by HBO. But when it comes to movies, Netflix's online selections are few and far between. Don't expect this to be a replacement for your Netflix by mail account, or your trips to the local Redbox. As much as Netflix would like to see that eventually happen (they'd love to rid themselves of their USPS expense and just be an online company), it's still a long way away...

Bill V,

I agree that the selection of movies available for streaming seems very limited. Most of the bigger hit movies are only available on DVD's. Perhaps that is the licensing agreement that NetFlix has with the movie studios, etc. The may not be able to show the movie online until the studio releases it for online viewing??

Having said that, there are probably several hundred movies and nearly as many TV shows available for viewing now....and it's probably a better selection than HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax have and a lot cheaper.

I suspect that things will probably get better and more content will be available online sooner, but I suspect the prices will go up as well.

I have to also agree with TJR, the video and audio quality coming out of that little box is amazing.

...Rich

BillV,

Netflix does have a lot to watch online, but it doesn't have most of it's latest DVD releases, nor does it have a deep library of current TV programs like iTunes does. However, if up want to catch up on movies and shows that have been on DVD for a while, then it has a lot.

Also, it has all the Starz on-demand content...and that is quite impressive.

JR

This seems like a great product. I have read the reviews and it seems that it either works great, works great for a couple weeks, or doesn't work at all. Customer service seems non-existent. More great reviews than not, though. Still not sure this is what I want but I have been looking for a new setup. I have an old laptop connected to the tv now and it works great, just not HD. So, is it really worth the $100 risk?

Hugh,

30 day money-back guarantee. The way I look at it, the only thing you are out is the return shipping and your time if it doesn't work for you.

Also, the Roku XD will work just fine and give true HD for $80. You don't need to to spend the extra for the XDS, IMHO, unless you are using it for wireless exclusively and are concerned about connectivity yet have a newer, N-band wireless router.

TJR