? for any Appliance techs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill R

Reaction score
I have a gas wall oven that has a cabinet cooling fan and the problem I have is there is a sail switch that confirms air flow that is bad and the manufacture does not offer a replacement. What this does is shut down the ovens when the cabinet fan comes on so I had to jump the switch to use the oven. Would this be OK to leave it or should I adapt another micro switch in it's place.

It should be replaced. It is there to prevent a fire issue.

I believe every gas furnace out there has a sail switch in it. If you can't get one for your oven from the manufacturer then get to a heating and air service shop with your old one. I bet it will be easy to fix.

Does the fan need to be on whenever the oven is on?

If so you can use a current senor switch like the ones used for an add on humidifiers on forced air furnaces.

Sail switches are old school stuff.

If I understand your intimal post, the oven shuts down when it reaches a certain temperature and the cooling fan comes on.

If this is correct, and you are asking if you jump the switch and it will be ok, then I am hearing the oven will not turn on once the switch is jumped.

I assume this is not accurate but it is how i am reading your post.

I will stand by my initial post.

The fan turns on due to temperature. Thus, it cools something and or shuts down the oven. In either case, it is to prevent a fire as I noted above.

I really do think that anyone that services furnaces will be able to help you with a sail switch that will suit your needs.

My electric wall oven has the cooling fan that comes on at a certain temp and shuts off at a certain temp (independent of the oven's actual heating cycle or oven power). I think I know what you are talking about. This isn't related to an induced draft or the gas burner- it is to keep the enclosure (wall, cabinet, whatever) cool so it doesn't errupt in flames from the oven heat.

You could wire it up to come on with the oven, but include a timer/latching relay (someone smarter will correct me here) to keep it on while the oven is in use, and to keep it on for 10 minutes or so after the oven is turned off.

what the sail switch does is confirm that the fan runs and if not will shut the oven off. I have had issues with the switch sticking before and causing the oven to not maintain temp. I have never had a problem with the cabinet fan. It has always worked when needed. I will eventually adapt another one in it's place.

Phil, if you can tell me the name of the wall heater, and possibly a model number. Maybe I can find a part or tell you how to fix it up. HVAC TECH for a living here._Ron

Here is a sight for you to look at to see if this is your type of sail switch. just put sail switch in the search line. Hope it helps._Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts