Fog driving light Q

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed the new Ford 150 has great lights. Bright white light. Mine are more yellow looking. Is there a practical upgrade . GEN 2 Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgrade the bulbs. Most people find that the Sylvania "Silver Stars" work great for a bright white light without that blue tint. Silver Stars are a little pricey, but come in several variations including the regular Silver Stars and the Ultra Silver Stars. They draw slightly more power than the standard bulbs but the improvement in light output is temendous.

The only drawback to Silver Stars is their price, and they don't last as long as standard headlight bulbs.....I have not had any problems with mine...I put them in my 2001 ST in 2003, then bought a new 2003 ST and moved my Silver Stars to the new Sport Trac and used the Truck for another 5 years. That's a total of 6 years on the same bulbs. Some people claim that they had the bulbs burn out in a few months??? Sylvania replaced some bulbs that failed early for free. The critical part is to not touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers...that will leave some body oil on the glass and will cause early failures.

Just to be sure nobody at the factory touched the glass part of the bulb when packaging them, I always wipe mine off with an alcohol wipe and handle the bulb with a clean paper towel.

I also have Silver Stars in my 2013 Hyundai Tucsan and WOW, did that make a difference in light output and visibility way down the road !!

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine by now Ford is using a HID bulb in a projector lens. You will not get that kind of "white" light out of a halogen bulb but the silverstars are a better bulb.

I did a projector/HID retrofit a few years ago but you have to be comfortable dismantling your headlight assembly and doing the wiring to make it functional.

Check out the kits on The Retrofit Source. Don't put HIDs in stock lenses, you will blind oncoming traffic.

I now have HID's in both the fogs and regular lights. The fogs are super bright! `I use them mostly during the day as daytime running lights. I got mine from ebay from VVME and they were fairly cheap too.