Floor jack & stands

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I got a floor jack and 2 jack stands for easter but they are all the 2-ton version. I see the trac is a little over 2 tons.....should i bring them back and get the 3-ton version or do I not need to worry.

What do you guys use?

They are usually rated per pair. Thus, both you stands can hold 2 tons used together. Since you're only lifting half your vehicle with 1 pair, they might be OK. But, if you are under your vehicle, I wouldn't risk it. Most stated to buy 2x the rated weight of your vehicle (if made in China). Thus, I'd look for 4 ton stands. If you are using them occasionally for tire rotations, and you aren't under them, they might be OK.

I've used a 2 ton floor jack on my 2nd gen lifting 1 corner during a tire rotation. It held OK. I have the most issues getting it high enough.

Whatever happened to wood or concrete blocks? :banghead:

OK Mark K, WOOD Blocks only. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 ton jack is ok for one corner at a time. I had to buy 3ton stands for the hieght of the trac. I wish I had got the 6ton stands. Because of the height at the frame.

Thanks for the input guys. I figured i was better safe than sorry so i returned the 2 tons and picked up a pair of 3 ton jack stands and am on the search for a 2+ ton jack. I found a 2.5 ton jack at Farm and fleet for $27 and it extends up to 15.5". Will that be enough lift to get the tire off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why anyone would use cinder blocks to hold a car of any size up! I always used some solid concrete blocks we got when we tore down an old frame house. They were the blocks holding the house up off the ground. Cinder blocks are weak.