floating disk brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAUL AGUILAR

Reaction score
Has anybody heard of some new "floating disk brakes" for cars.

i was watghing a show on TV yesterday and they said this new system works way better that ABS. i looked it up this morning on the internet and i can't find anything. To me it looked like there test car had a torque converter on each wheel. I was wondering if they were available for sale yet? :cool:

The design you're talking about are actually called "full contact disc brakes". Floating rotor brakes are nothing new, and features a rotor that floats over a carrier. It provides higher tolerances for out of squareness and more even pressure across the pad. The full contact disc brakes are not out for purchase yet, as they are still being tested and developed.

I could see where this would prolong brake life if for no other reason than the warping issue.

If it is floating and has a warp to it, it would only affect itself as opposed to feel it in the pedal as the caliper within the position is moving in and out of the caliper due to the rotor being fixed to the hub.