Flat Towing 2002 ST - Neutral Tow Kit?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Smith

Reaction score
Ok, I am really confused. I have Googled flat towing 2002. Some say yes some say no. What is the real deal?

Anyone have instructions?

Thanks in advance.

2002 Owners Manual (Pages 123-124)

An example of recreational towing is towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. The following recreational towing guidelines are designed to ensure that your transmission is not damaged.

4x4 vehicles with electronic shift on the fly cannot be towed with any wheels on the ground (with the exception of moving it as a disabled vehicle off the road out of traffic).

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that. Then you go online and find flat tow neutral kits that used to be sold by Ford to allow.

Two I found.

1L2Z-7H332-AB

1L2J-7H332-AA1

I found instructions to install. The kit consists of a plug in light and instructions to program tne computer for

4H 2H Neutral 4L.

Have als read where some people bought a LED light and wired it in. Where? Then you have to go to Ford to reprogram. My local dealer was no help.

IIRC, 2001-03 automatics did not have an oil circulating pump.

2004-05 and 2007

If the transfer case is in neutral. The transmission does not turn When being towed . No pump needed. Just a say to get transfer case into neutral.

The rear drive shaft will turn the transmission output shaft. No fluid circulation on that bearing and components, will cause damage. Auto transmissions used to have rear pumps. That was in the day when you could push start one. Not since many years....

Help me understand how the drive shaft is turning the transmission when on a 4x4 the drive shft is directed through the transfer case?

Assuming a <a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/10521/TransferCase/bw1354_illustration.jpg" target="_blank">Borg-Warner 1354</a> ...

Because the input shaft of the transfer case is coupled to the output shaft making them essentially one shaft. They can be separated, but not by the dash switch - there is no neutral position (hence the need for the neutral tow kit and to activate the software).

Does this make sense?

Help me understand how the drive shaft is turning the transmission when on a 4x4 the drive shft is directed through the transfer case?

... and the output of the transmission is connected to the input of the transfer case, and the rear drive shaft is connected to the transfer case output shaft. This means that the rear drive shaft is essentially connected to the output shaft of the transmission.

transmission output shaft -> transfer case input shaft -> transfer case output shaft -> rear drive shaft

Latest posts