Flashing O/D Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Barrios

Reaction score
Hello. I've searched through the forums about this problem already, but wanted to provide a bit more information and ask a specific question about my issue. Recently, the overdrive would automatically engage after accelerating approx. 40-45 mph. It would happen randomly at least once or twice a month. (In the mornings after the car has been sitting overnight.) I would shut the car off and re-start it again to disengage overdrive, then continue without any problems. The transmission works perfectly, no hesitation, no slipping. (When overdrive is turned off.)

So... I keep seeing that the overdrive light is the "sign of death". But... Could it just be an electrical issue like the solenoid pack that's causing the overdrive to randomly engage? Not necessarily a physical/moving part that's broken or came loose? Because if that's the case, then there's no real urgency, right? It would be annoying as heck to deal with, but it's something I can temporarily put on hold.

If someone had experienced this issue, with these conditions, what exactly was the problem? And how long did you have this issue until you got it fixed? Was it bad or not as bad?

Most of the time if the O/D light blinks
Does your speedo work. If not it could been the speed sensor with on the rear end or on the end of the trans tail shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedometer? Yes, it works. Everything functions normally until overdrive engages on it's own. I'd re-start the car, then everything is back to normal again. (Shifting, reving, etc.)

Last edited:
Have you had a tech put a scanner on it? It may pull a trans code
Not the code grabbing things from the parts store. I real scanner. One that does oem codes and body, trans codes

No, but I thought about buying one myself since I don't entirely trust mechanics. Is there a scanner that you recommend buying?

In the meantime, do you know what the most common issue is? That has solved the problem for most people?

Is their a trans shop near you? Most shops won’t charge you to hookup a scanner
I know ammco transmissions does not charge. As for a scanner to buy? That’s a hard one. If you get one make sure it does OBDII and cam codes. Then you can look up any codes on the web.
It could be many things that’s making this happen. You need to get a code. It could be the speed sensor, valve body solenoid, shift solenoid. The list could be longer and longer
Good thing is this. It could be a simple fix, fingers crossed [emoji1696].

Latest posts