flashing O/D light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Tichy

Reaction score
Our Gen1 / Job1 every once in a while will do the second to third rev up between shifting and a couple weeks ago experienced a flashing O/D light. I had it into the dealer yesterday for diagnosis and they said it had a code P0733 in the memory and they said the TSB 03-22-10 valve body update should solve the problem.

I searched the site with no luck finding the codes or the valve body fix so I searched the web. From what I found, the P0733 code is pretty common as is the TSB.

What confuses me is the TSB refers to "No 2nd Gear", "No 3rd Gear", "No engine braking in Manual 1st".

We have 2nd and 3rd gears with an occasional rev in between. Will the Valve body update in the TSB solve this problem or is my dealer blowing smoke?

Last edited by a moderator:
i had this problem and many others have to i just went a head and got a rebuilt tranny off ebay and installed it my self my old one had 91400 miles on it when it went a flashing o/d light is never good

You need a new or rebuilt valve body I got mine at central valve bodies for around 260.00 with all the updates and replaced it myself. Don't keep driving it or you will need a new transmission. The shift solenoids on this trans is a known problem and the gasket could be blown to. Just Google 5r55e transmission bunch of info out there.:eek:nline:

If you are not real high milage. The new valve body with solenoids and seperator plate gasket. shoul fix it. As said dont drive it. If you go this route. Ask the dealer if the $$ spent will go towards a rebuild if other problems exist.

Sometimes you will get excessive clutch and band wear. If this has beengoing on a long time.

"I got the O/D flashing light around 120k-130k. Now at 164K the tranny has ran smooth. I have recently noticed a hard engaging when put in Reverse and every once in a while the light bump/flare at 2nd and 3rd. Normally at 20-40MPH. Its not a slip with the hard jerk. Its the flare with bump like feeling thats hardly noticeable. I havent done a tranny filter or oil change so that could be it instead. A dirty filter will give you bad tranny symptoms. I might just order the valve body and have it around til i save up for the labor cost."

i wrote this in annother post. i was reading your post Jeff and i dont think ive experince the high revving in 2nd or 3rd. im actually takin Freds advice who also posted a message regarding this issue but Eddie mentioned that with low mileage the valve body should do the job. well i got 164k thats pretty high. should i still try to change out the valve body. my tranny runs pretty smooth. once in a while i might feel something that seems out of the ordinary or maybe im just paranoid with all these members dealing with trannt problems

Well guys, with a HUGE thanks to Todd Z., the Trac goes in for work on Thursday this week. So far on the list... valve body update, all the shift solenoids, and EPC solenoid. Once the dealer drops the pan, I'm sure there will be something else but that's a wait and see.

Once the dealer puts it back together, I'll put out an update. Thanks for the help!

I have 165k miles on my 4x4 ST... never had a problem. Wondering if it's worth doing this.... will I get another 50k miles out of the tranny?

im with you larry. but i dont wannt just another 50k.

im gonna drive my ST til the wheels fall off so i need to keep the tranny

running good. like i said before no problems at all. ive just been a bit paranoid.

i got the OD flashing light about 30-40k ago. that means there is something wrong.

i just havent had any severe symptoms. but im still gonna buy that valve body and have it

installed just to be safe then sorry

Latest posts