FL to PA transport

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul McDevitt

Reaction score
Just bought an antique stained glass door off ebay, as a Christmas present for my wife. Got a good deal on the door, I think, but the shipping is a killer.

The door is in Delfuniak Springs, FL, and I live near Philadelphia, PA. Delfuniak Springs is 1/2 way between Tallahassee and Mobile, AL. Anyone have any creative suggestions how to get the door from there to here? Not looking for anything for free, I have a pretty big budget to spend to stay under the seller's shipping charge.

Fly down and drive it up, or post an ad on craigslist to see if you can pay someone to drive it up for you. My friend used to do that from NC to all the way up to NY each time he went home to offset the cost of the trip.

believe it or not, maybe a car carrier.

i just called a few days ago to see about shipping my fiero from fla to long isle.

they are desperate since most of the runs this time of year are from north to south and the trucks are returning north empty.

try an enclosed transporter since it is a antique.

If you can get it from Florida to North Eastern South Carolina, I can get it to Ohio.

Tom

If you paid for the plain ticket down, rental van back up, gas, tolls, food We could work out the transport for, I was thinking somewhere around $200-300. I drove over the road hauling Hazmat for years. I'd love to take a road trip!:D all you'd need is a minivan with foldaway seats. Hell that's how I got my stuff back here from LaGrande, Oregon, took me 31 hours to get back straight shot. I'm extremely safety concious from hauling Hazmat I couldn't afford not to be. If you're interested email me at jerrylightfeather@ yahoo.com or call me at 412-606-5029.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a fun idea but of the safest for an antique glass door. You need it inside a vehilce out of the elements and not being moved around. I brought back my antique wood/leather rocking chair that was passed down to me, it's over 250 years old and had to be extremely careful not to break the wood or rip/tear the leather. The door would need to be wrapped in moving blankets and carefully strapped in the vehilce so it has alittle play as to not allow the glass to be jarred around. I have years of experience moving, loading/unloading unstable chemicals/ loads, items of various complexity. :)

I would suggest building a frame out of 2x4's for it if all possible, if you spent that much $$ on the door, you don't want it bouncing around in a van/whatever you use, could build the transport frameand pad it well, then use a U-haul or another trailer if you have it. I doubt if being exposed to any "weather" would hurt it, have to be careful with the stained glass

You need it inside a vehilce out of the elements and not being moved around.

If you lined up enough vehicles with Class III hitches, just put the door in a trailer and just pass the trailer along. Of course, we know it wouldn't be a U-Haul...

If you could find enough MYST members in between to each take a couple hour run or so, that could work.

My wife and I are involved in the adoption of retired racing greyhounds and we do this all the time. It's called the Greyhound Underground Railroad, or GUR.

Latest posts