Fixing the rust on doors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Kolar

Reaction score
So I have a few spots on the underneath of my doors that are small spots of rust. I don't know if there is much to do that would save this but I'm sure someone has run into this problem in the Midwest before. I talked to some other people on another message board and they suggested to buy some bondo from Wally World, sand down the spots and then fix it with some paint from the auto parts store. How hard is this to do? I'm just weary because I don't want to mess up and regret trying to fix it and have to pay a ton of money to get it done right. Can anyone talk to me about this and maybe other fixes for this issue.

Aloha Dean, I haven't done this but in my experience with rust (hawai'i), you will have to sand,chip or grind all the rust off first. Next cote it a couple of times with a rust treatment gel. Being under the door, folks won't be able to see it so much so you can go at it with bondo. Try to smooth it out before it sets up, it is hard to sand.

I hope that another will offer another way but if not, try this.

good luck Ed

A Counter Attack electronic module runs 24 hours a day and stops further rust from happening by reversing static electricity in the metal on your vehicle. Designed in Australia because they are surrounded by salt water every vehicle gets rusty there. :supercool:

Sandblast it or grind it out, put on more seam sealer and paint. Characteristic of Rangers and Explorers in the Salt Belt. I've had door and tailgate seams repaired for rust on my previous Ranger and Sport Trac while they were on the 3/36 warranty.

I have rust starting on the inside lip of the door. I hit it with the wire brush and painted it. In the end Gavin is right, once rust starts in a door it never seems to stop.

I will be replacing the door with new once it rots to the outside of the door

Dean,

As Gavin said, Rust never sleeps.

The repair is dependent upon the extent of the rust damage. Usually if the rust is bubbing through the paint on the lower door, it probably has rusted through from the inside of the door.

Water gets in through the weather stripping around the window which is normal, so they put drain holes in the bottom of the doors to let the water drain out. If these holes get plugged up (they often do) you will have a puddle of water in the bottom of you door and that begins the rust process, so it is always important to check that the drain holes are clear.

This kind of damage will usually require replacing the metal at the bottom of the door. When you cut it out, you will be able to examine the extent of the rust damage on the inside of the door....if it is just surface rust, you can use a rust-converter product that will prevent/delay the rusting in that area.

If are lucky, and the rust is just surface rust caused by chipped paint at the bottom of the door, then you may be able to just sand/grind down to the bare metal to remove all the rust and then reprime and paint the door.

The easiest way to check which condition you have is to use a sharp object like a screw driver or knife to poke at the rust spots....if the blade goes through, the rust has perforated the metal and it needs to be cut out and replaced with new metal. If the blade does not go through, and feels solid, then you probably do not have a rust through condition and you only need to grind down to solid clean metal, prep, refinish and rerepaint the door.

...Rich

I'm pretty sure that it is all just surface rust. I notice it when I'm washing the car. Do it inside and out with a rag so I know that it hasn't made it through the door. I just don't want it to get that bad. After getting it as a third car it has to be outside rather than in the garage. I'm gonna get the front wheel well panel fixed right behind the corner light but the doors aren't a huge priority I just wanted to know if there is something easy and not super expensive to do. I'll be going off to college in a year, but I just like to treat my things meticulously.

Dean,

Do the poke test with a knife or screwdriver. If it goes through, or if the metal seems soft, then it's to far gone to just grind down and repaint.

You will see the extent of the damage when you start to grind off the rust that may be hidden under the paint. If you grind a hole in the door to get the rust off, then you will know you have to replace the metal there. The poking with a knife or screwdriver just lets you know what you can expect before you even start.

....Riich

I have very little on the underside of my doors, but my sills are completely gone. Honestly, I imagine the side skirts will fall away this winter. Front fenders, leading edge of hood, and the aforementioned sills are shot...rest of truck looks great. 167K of Central New York roads and weather...oh well, she still drives great anyway.