Fishing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Chatten

Reaction score
I was hoping there might be some fishing junkies that might be able to give me some advise.

My son, 19, started fishing quite a bit this year with a friend. His friend has a ton of fishing gear, so my son uses his equipment when they go out. They mainly fish in the local reservoir - bass, trout, etc.

I would like to buy him a fishing rod, tackle box, etc. for Christmas. What is a good startup setup ? I don't want to get anything too cheap, but I also do not want to break the bank.

Thanks in advance, DanC

A medium action Rod would be a good starting rod if you want to just go with 1 rod. Ideally a light action rod would be used for panfish like sunfish and crappies, and trout (not lake trouth though). Medium action is good for bass, walleye occasional northern. Heavy action would be for larger Northern or Muskie fishing. Shimano is a good brand to go with if you're looking for a combo set-up (rod & reel), I like Abu Garcia or shimano reels. Cheaper rods that are decent are Berkely.

Trilene XL 8lb test would be a good starting line if you're going to fish for various things, obviously larger test for bigger fish, and lighter test for smaller fish. I run 8lb on most of my medium action rods.

Soft sided tackle boxes with Plano's in them are the better tackle boxes to go with.

What kind of sporting good stores do you have by you?

I was in your son's position a few years ago. I started fishing heavily when I was about 18. here's a quick breakdown:

Fishing rods/reels:

I use a browning "stalker" set up. It's a medium action 6'6" rod and a bait casting reel. I would not suggest the bait caster set up for a new angler, but I do like browning products.

However - you cannot go wrong with an ugly stick for a new angler like your son. Ugly sticks are good rods for the beginner all the way through experienced, and they wont break the bank. there are plenty of combo set ups out there with ugly stick.

for reels look for the number of ball bearings, it will say on the reel. I would not go with anything under a 6 ball bearing reel. They won't break the bank and are smooth. companies like Diawa, Shiamano (?sp), browning, are all good.

Tackle box:

I use a hard plastic Plano tackle box when off shore. When wading I use a smaller soft case that is water resistant. Don't go crazy over tackle boxes, unless he has a ton of gear or really advanced, he will be happy with a box that holds all his stuff. I like Plano.

Bait/lures:

for bass - he will love Gary Yamamoto aka "Senko" lures. http://www.baits.com/

I have best luck with flat black colors. Don't get all hyped up in the sparkles and crazy color combos. Most lifelike colors are best. black, dark brown, even the dark green sometimes. early season I will use pink however. These lures are like crack for bass. I have even caught pickerel, trout, and perch on them as well. I like the 5" or 4" sizes.

for actual lures Rapala have quite the name, but are expensive. I have had luck with all kinds of lures. Even some cheapo lures. He is going to have to try out what he likes. Maybe one rapala lure ($5 and change) will really make him happy.

Lines:

I use about a 6lb test braided line for smaller stuff, up to 12lb test for areas I know produce big fish. Braided lines are good and might be easier for him to tie compared to other stuff. Although I would agree with Andy when he said the trilene XL 8lb test would be good.

Misc...

Have you thought about even buying him a book on angling...? There are some good books out there that might help him a lot. Not to mention they are fun to read, even for the non reading type.

Take him out and find him a girlfriend.

It will be cheaper in the long-run. I have been fishing for 50 years. When I started out fish were free. I have worked my way up to about $300.00 a pound (and that doesn't count beer.) Fishing is more addictive than dope. :bwahaha:

What Andy and Mike said for equipment. You might be best off with a gift certificate. Because, he probably has something he likes in mine and shopping for the stuff is part of the experience.

@REDFISH - I laughed for 20 minutes.

Mike/Andy: Thanks for the input. I have Dicks and Bass Pro Shops that I can shop at. I'm here in Central Massachusetts.

I was thinking about a mix of what you all recommended. Maybe, we will get him the reel and tackle box to put under the tree, and then a gift certificate for the rest of his shopping.

The kids always surprise me. I would have never pegged my Steve as a fishing guy, but he really loves it. Better fishing then many other things they could be getting into.... :)

Thanks - Still have my 02 ST and enjoy coming out here..... Great board. Good folks.

Here's a link to a nice Abu Garcia rod & reel combo for $39.99 at Dick's. The Cardinal reels are really smooth reels and my first rod I ever had 20+ years ago was a Cherrywood and I still use it.

You can't go wrong with a gift certificate. That way he can pick out what he likes. Everybody has different taste. He'll want to fish with what feels comfortable to him. There are no answers to fishing questions, only opinions.

I have a backpack tackle box that is also a chair. I love it. It offers you a place to sit and it frees a hand while you're walking to boat or your next spot along the bank. However, this backpack is not one size fits all. I'm a smaller guy and it is tough to get on my shoulders. The straps are extended all of the way.

Soft tackle boxes typically offer a shoulder strap which is handy, plus you can rearrange the contents faster since they consist of multiple containers.

Useful lures for every bass fisherman's tackle box that are cheap to buy and easy to come by are rubber worms, buzz baits, and spinner baits. WalMart has a bunch of spinners and buzz baits for a dollar. I used them for years until I got hooked on Booyah's. Most of my friends still use the WalMart specials.

Latest posts