First post and question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1st. post, YEAHH!!!! :lol:

I've been a long time reader on this site, which I think is superb!

I have a 2001 ST, 2WD and somehow, while doing a few backs and forths on a tight spot, I have managed to "misplace" the gear indicator on the dashboard so that it now shows one gear ahead of its actual position (e.g.: it shows "Reverse" while placed on "Park", 2nd. gear while on "Drive" and so on).

The question: Is there a relatively easy way to fix this without tearing the whole dashboard apart? or should I just learn to live with this? Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

A shop should be able to align the shifter linkage. How it does together is something I know nothing about. Take it somewhere and get a quote. See if it is something you want to live with.

Tom

You have to remove the plastic piece in front of your knees with a 7mm ratchet. Be careful not to miss the two screws that are inside the hood latch.

Then remove the metal piece behind that with an 8mm ratchet.

After both of those are gone, look up under the steering wheel. There will be a metal hook at the inside end of the shifter lever. On that hook is a nylon "string" loop. About an inch down the cable from that loop is a plastic dial. Turn the dial. It adjusts the tension on the line, realigning the indicator.

While you are in there, look at that dial that Dingo mentioned. They are prone to break. If it is broken, you will need to replace the indicator assembly.

By the way, welcome!

I had to replace mine a few months ago, the little wire broke. It's real simple to replace. You'll know if it's broken if you see a thin copper colored wire hanging by the pedals, at least that was the case with mine.

Welcome to the site! :D