first gen questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Poche

Reaction score
Hello all i had a 2001 4x4st and traded it when I got the od blinking light of death. I miss my ST and I am looking for another is their any thing i need to look for or any year to stay away from. Thanks Ben

I didn't read the subject...

As far as I know the only major issue across all the years has been the trans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my '03 ST XLT, I'd probably stay away from '01- early '02's for the simple fact that I always hear horror stories about the job1 motors. I'm selling my show truck on ebaymotors and CL so that I can buy my wife an ST since here car died. Found a couple I'm interested in. Check your CL listings around your area, alot of people have them on there. :haveabeer::banana::driving:

If I could do it all over again, I'd have found a '05 ST.

I also wish I had known that '04 and up had the colour matched cladding when I bought my '03 used...

03 and up have 4 wheel disc brakes.

03 and lower are the only ones with a manual transmission. Also, they had the manual odometers, as opposed to the 04 & 05's digital ones.

Color matched cladding would be nice.

04 & 05 also can come with stock MP3 cd players that support Auxiliary Input, whereas most 01-03 ST radios lack that capability (MP3 & aux capabilities, that is).

Also, no 04 & 05 have the rear-seat radio controls, but I wouldn't consider that a huge loss.

For 1st generation STs, you should shoot for a Job 2 motor. You could also check the fuel filter to see if it has 2 or 3 pipes in, and the intake tube to see if it has an extra hose coming off of it. My 02 has these things, and they're a bit of a pain, but nothing deal breaking, and only a concern if you want to do your own maintenance & install an aftermarket intake system.

If you get a 2nd generation ST, if you get an 07 make sure it has the power rear window and the Aux-in jack, as you can't easily add those later.

Latest posts