First Concert?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elf, fronted by a guy named Ronnie James Dio, opened for Deep Purple. December 1974, at the International Amphitheater, Chicago, Illinois.

A year and a half later, I saw Blackmore's Rainbow, with Ronnie and Richie Blackmore...

I'm going to see Deep Purple for the first time since that 1974 show in 2 weeks w/Joe Satriani opening the show at the Concord Pavillion, or as it's known these days... Sleep Train Pavillion.

You need to know first that I am old.

First major concert of any kind was Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass around 1968 at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena. I was 8.

First real rock concert was KISS at the Civic Arena also, in 1976. Opening act was some guy from Detroit who I'd never heard of named Bob Seger.

Paul Revere & the Raiders....guessing about 1966 or 1967!

Oh...if we're talking real rock groups....it was

Steppenwolf...live. Hara Arena, Dayton, Ohio somewhere in 1968.

What a real eye opener for a 15 year old! I was actually paying more attention to my future ex-wife than John Kay...LOL!

I forgot about "Strawbery Alarm Clock". 1968, senior in high school.

@ an elks lodge dance. I think they only had one album and broke up.

That may not qaulify as a concert though.

Dating myself..LOL

Yea I was thinking more along the lines of someone who made it nationally..

Lots of good classics though in the group (you told timers :cheeky:)

I'd have to say my most interesting concert experience was at Woodstock 99 though.

First six in order:

Vanilla Fudge 1968

The Doors 1968

Young Rascals 1968

Cream 1968

Hendrix 1969

Led Zepplin 1969

Many more after that

All in one place at same time... Angels Stadium, So Cal.

Deringer, followed by The J. Giles Band, then FOGHAT with Peter Frampton. As soon as Frampton did "Do You FeeL..." we left.

Pappy: You don't like Frampton?

He lives in Cincinnati, OH now...a little old bald headed man just like the rest of us but he can still play.

'07: We weren't much of a fan of Frampton, no.

I should mention "Do You Feel" was played WAY too much in the L.A. area at the time, and, If I remember correctly, was what he started with (too much 'haze' in the ballpark) and it was well into 5 minutes before we headed out. Broadcasted over the radio and was well past his record setting recording (this gig was not recorded, I believe)as we were driving out!. So we were ready to roll when he started.

J.Giles band and Foghat was a better show anyway!

Kinda like going to a Dodger game... show up late and leave early (traffic) lol

I do admire his work more now, but at that time, eh, not so much.

The wife and I are planning a trip to Ohio this summer, I'll look for and old bald guy! lol

Blackfoot / Asheville NC Civic Center, mid 80's. :fire::banana:

Presidents of the United States of America

"Move into the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches...."

Latest posts