Firestone Destination A/T tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John G

Reaction score
When I bought my 2001 ST new, it came with the Firestone Wilderness AT that were recalled by Ford (not Firestone) after the infamous firestorm of publicity about blowouts and rollovers.

Lately, the Goodyears that Ford gave me as part of the recall still had enough tread after about 8 years, but they spun on wet pavement because they were so old. (I'm a low mileage driver.)

With great trepidation about the Firestone brand, I bought Firestone Destination A/T tires recently. The price was much better than the Bridgestone and other brands that the Firestone store sells. I suppose that the Firestone brand got hurt so much from the Ford recall publicity that it's now the cheap brand for that company.

Anyway, after a few hundred miles, I've found that the Destination A/T is nice and quiet on the highway, and the wet traction seems to be just fine. I'll know about traction in snow soon enough, since I live in the Midwest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of Bridgestone/Firestone tires.

I am very impressed with the BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A tires. Have them on the Sport Trac AND Explorer XLT 4x4. Simply love them.

Good luck with your Firestone tires. Firestone has had a reputation of building tires that were less that good. Firestone 500's are an example. Hopefully Bridgestone has straightened the company out.

Tom

I run them on my ST and my 94 Jeep Wrangler. Was not even planned, determined it after I had purchased them for the ST that I had done the same with the Jeep a few years earlier.

I have not had any issues.

I've had the Firestone AT's on my Trac for just over 40K miles now. I also went up a couple of sizes from stock when I put them on. Minimal change in the speedometer and I had to trim the left front fender liner a little because they would rub just a little at full turn. I've been happy with their performance and also they're wearing well. I still have I think 9/32" of tread. I do a lot of highway driving and have never been bothered with noise. That 40K miles has been put on in about 1 year and 3 weeks!!

Have owned 6 sets of Firestones (ATX, Wilderness ATX, Wilderness AT x 2 , Destination LE x 2) and all were problem free. With the exception of the OEM ATXs on my '94 Mazda B4000 (worn out at 25K), I put on ~50,000 miles every time. This included a 70 mile daily commute in snow, ice, rain, and mud conditions in north central PA.

I am currently running Destination LEs on my 07 Ltd 4x4 Trac and love them! 15K miles so far...Quiet on the highway, great in rain, and seem to wearing just fine. (Northern/central NC) Pricing is very competitive from TireRack.com Highly recommend them!

Would have gone with the ATs but they didn't make the tread/sidewall aspect size I was looking for in an 18" tire.

Latest posts