Firearms: My Search Is Over (for now!)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
So after much deliberation, forum posts and testing I finally purchased a firearm.

A little back ground on what I've loved and owned in the past:

Remington Viper .22cal (super fun and accurate gun but it was unreliable)

Remington 870 Police Smooth Bore 12ga. (super fun and reliable gun with a tight and solid action.)

Marlin .22 (super reliable and very accurate)

Kalashnikov AK-47 (super relliable and decent accuracy, didn't feel very refined and it was heavy)

Colt Match Target H-bar AR15A2 .223 20" barrel w/ chrome plated carrier and bolt (this gun was a rockstar but super heavy with scope and bipod, had issues with it bending bolts though)

Bushmaster XM-15 .223 cal 16" Barrell (super fun, light weight gun. Best quality AR I ever owned)

Keltec SUB2000 9mm (reliable but not very accurate. Bought it because it was cheap and I was looking for a 9mm)

Calico M950 9mm drum rifle. (I bought it because it was different but I actually didn't like the ergonomics of the rifle.

I tried a bunch of different caliber bolt action, semi-auto and pump action shot guns.

As far as comfort, the 22LR round bolt action wasn't much fun and the bolt throw was pretty tiny. The 7mm round bolt throw was way to long for me but it was super fun to shoot long range. I really liked the .308. It seemed to be the most comfortable bolt throw and had a respectable range and impact. Same for the .223 but I just wanted a bigger cal for a bolt action.

I then looked at a slew of Mossberg shotguns. I really didn't like them. The pumps had a lot of play and I wasn't a fan of the top mounted safety even though I understand why it's there. I really like the new Remington 877 and the good old 870 tactical express. I liked the site rail of the 877 better for faster target acquisition but the rest of the gun was a little to umm...I don't know ...."boy racer-ish" for me. Which is odd because I'm a huge fan of the AR platform rifles.

I looked at a few ARs also. I checked out a Olympic Arms .223, S&W Sport, Colt Match Target .223 (same as the one I used to own) and a Bushmaster XM-15 (same as the one I used to own) and I liked them all.

I then factored in the frequency I'd be going to the range and the cost of ammo. Since my life is stuck on 150mph and I don't have that much free time...I went back to the .22cal and the smaller firearm investment.

For MONTHS I felt pretty stuck. Nothing out there really did it for me.

Then I came across a .22cal CMMG .223 AR drop in conversion. That really sparked my interest. The downside was that the total investment in the rifle and the conversion would have been over $1000. I wasn't doing that.

I did some more research and joined some AR forums online. I was hoping to score a used AR around $500 or less.

I came across a Colt Umarex M4 and I really loved the idea of an inexpensive dedicated AR in 22cal. I had read about some issues with this gun. I went and check it out. It didn't have the last shot bolt hold open, quad rails, dust cover, forward assist and it's trigger mech and both receivers were not AR. I was again completely out of luck.

I just happened to be talking to a co-worker of mine from our other dealership one day. He is an ex-marine/cop. He said..."why hasn't anyone told you about the Smith & Wesson 15-22?" It has everything your looking for. It can accept AR components and the entire lower receiver is 100% AR... I got mine for $350 in 2009."

I knew better than to get my hopes up. I did some research online and the gun looked absolutely flawless with the exception of some early shell extractor issues that took 30 seconds to fix with a pair of needle nose pliers.

My co-worker, Charles, brought in his 15-22 and I went over it with a fine tooth comp. I loved it. It's exactly what I needed/wanted.

Long story short, I now own one and I look forward to playing with it when I get a chance.

Right now, my wife is struggling with the safety aspect of it. She isn't very happy that we own one even though she encourged me to buy one to attempt to derail my addict level automotive hobby. I'll probably end up leaving it at my in-laws place until we can afford a really good gun safe. Even then...it will probably end up in my unheated garage lol. Oh well, feeling safe is more important than having fun and I'm open to whatever helps my wife sleep at night.

I will probably buy another Rem 870 tactical 12ga and then a .308 bolt action in Howa, Browning, Remington or maybe Savage.

Well congratulations Carey! Its always nice to get just what you want. I've also been poking around in that area too. However, I've been concentrating on the 7.63x 53mm NATO round, and the weapons that can shoot that caliber. Not too much to choose from, but I have a good idea. Problem is, here in New Jersey, the gun has to have a fixed stock. Many of these are collapsible or folding. PIA. Probably because I'm concentrating on the "tactical" type weapon. Just have to convince the wife. Oh wait a minute! Why bother, buy first, answer questions later....Bob

The AR can be bought in the 7.62 NATO. Pretty sure all the major AR manufacturers make it.

If you already have an AR, you could just get a 7.62 upper and call it a day.

NY has the same deal. It's a rule hear that the unit can't have over a 10rd mag, removable mag, and an adjustable stock. The mags are ok if they are pre- ban.

You can buy the gun online and have it sent to an FFL and have the stock pinned. Then it's legal.

My AR has the 6 pos stock and it's pinned.

I am looking for "tactical" .22LR as well. A co-worker has the S&W 15-22 and tells me is is dead accurate at 100 yards. He paid $415 last year. I have seen them for $430 to $450.

I was considering a Sig 522 but they run upwards of $600. Mossberg has a 37204 .22LR that is available for less than $300 on line. It gets fair reviews, not great...not horrible. Mossberg claims 25 round clips, but all reviews say that 20 is maximum. Good thing I live in a gun-friendly state!

For $300, I think it may be mine!

The big deal with the S&W 15-22 is that it's a real AR. The lower reciever is all AR and accepts grips, triggers and stocks.

It's also the only one that breaks down, specifically the upper reciever, like a .223 AR.

It also has the last shot bolt hold open just like a .223. The comps really don't have any of that.

They also do not have a round assist rod like other AR's.

The guns have a slightly different charging handle versus their S&W Sport .223 models. They also don't have dust covers like many AR's. The S&W Sport .223 doens't have the dust cover or the round assist.

The dust cover and round assist isn't really considered viable on anything non-military or past the M16A1 variant.

I've heard very good things about the Sig 522. I didn't consider it because I specifically wanted an AR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really concerned about the "AR" thing, I only want a good 22 for target shooting.

Went to pick up the Mossberg last night and the local dealer was sold out. He did have a Ruger 10-22 but it was stripped down, not even a front sight. It was $400, by the time I added a couple of things to make it useful, it was over $200.

Going to order the Mossberg on line and have it delivered.

did you get your Mossberg yet?

I'm getting an Arsenal SLR 94 7.62 from my brother. Probably going to purchase an Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223 for target shooting.

Recently expanded my collection:

Smith & Wesson M&P 15 ORC 5.56 w/ EOTech 512 co-whitness Troy BUIS

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 .22LR w/Redfield scope

Arsenal SLR95 AK47 7.62x39 w/ Vortex Strikefire co-whitness factory BUIS

Howa Axiom 1500 .308 w/ Nighthawk scope

The beauty is that I've paid way way below retail for all of them, even during this insane market.

Hopefully none of these get banned!

I do have two pre-ban 30rd Bulgarian AK47 mags for sale.

Latest posts