Finally Ordering Wheels!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well, I am going to be ordering these wheels if the specs are alright... can someone confirm these are going to work out?

Lexani LSS-10

22x9"

5 - 114.3 Bolt Pattern

30mm Offset

Thanks!

You will have 6mm More clearance than me from the wheel to the shock housing .....

but your wheels will be about 6mm further in on the outside. (not stick out as far as mine)

According to this calculator:

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

I would normally suggest anywhere from a 25mm to 30mm offset with a 9" wide rim. If you are going with a 9.5" wide rim then 30mm to 35mm

But yes those wheels you list should work fine! Be sure t get 285/40-22 tires or you will regret it!!!!

My wheels are 9.5" wide and 30mm offset!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet, Thanks! They are 9" wide w/ 30mm offset... so should be good. Ill see what it looks like and then possibly look into some spacers if they dont stick out enough.

Nice choice XST, those are exactly the kind Ive been eyeing. I cant wait to see em on there. BTW, absolutely love the white. If I could do it over I wouldve got white, I think. But the salesman told me they only came in red or black. Sheesh!

XST-

Usually you can get new bands to adapt the stock sensors to the wheels. Of course, if you get the wheels shipped mounted and balanced, you'll have to go somewhere and have them broken down, install the bands, then put it all back together.

Not sure why the very specific tire size recommendation, as 285 with such a short sidewall is too wide for a 9" wheel. If there was more sidewall, say a 50 series tire, a 9" wide wheel would probably work. But at 285/40, you'll be stretching the tire sidewalls causing possible wear problems, and increased ride harshness. Tires have a recommended wheel width specification, going outside that spec may void the tire warranty, so be sure to buy tires that match the wheels. At 9" wide, you can go with a taller tire at the 285 width, or an overall smaller tire, say a 265/45.

I agree with Tiger. 285/40 has too short of a sidewall for 9" rim. You will be pulling the sidwall out 2 1/4" on both sides of the bead seat. Thats dangerous. A good pot hole could cause rapid deflation.

What I am actually wanting to do before ordering the tires is find out if I can use a thicker sidewall to fill the wheel well more and what size tire I should be looking at. If I was to get the lowering springs from Calhoun, and a tire thats taller than what Nocturnal has, is is possible to have it look like a 2" drop instead of the 1.25" drop?

285/45R-22 -- would this give me that appearance?

New news... I was goign to order these wheels today, until the guy said they are custom made adn can be to any spec... what offset am I looking for now? Id like them flush with the side panels...

Ugh!@

If you want them flush, you'll have to measure.

It isn't too difficult, just measure from the rotor hat (the flat area between the lug studs) out to the vertical plane that is even with the wherever you want the wheel edge to be even with. Usually this is the inside edge of the fender, as you want the wheel and tire to go up into the wheel well under compression, not into the fender. Take this measurement and subtract .75", this is your front spacing. Subtract that from your width, 9", to get your backspacing. If you need offset (which is nothing more then another expression of front/backspacing), subtract your backspacing from half your width, then convert to millimeters; this result can be negative, but only should be so if your backspacing is less then half the width of the wheel. In other words, if the front spacing is larger then your backspacing, the offset should be negative. If backspacing is larger, the offset should be positive.

Be careful with the thinking that a taller tire will "increase" the look of the drop, because a taller tire will fill the wheel well out more, but it will also lift the entire vehicle higher off the ground.

XST: Long story short ... the 285-40-22 tire was recommended to get rid of more wheel gap. It would be about .75" taller than my current setup. But then again I have the 9.5" Wide rim with a 30MM OFFSET

285-40-22 ...mounted on a 9.5" rim would be optimal (28mm offset)

265-40-22...mounted on a 9" wide rim would be best (25-30mm offset)

(Truthfully a 275-40-22 would be perfect but it is snot made!)

the higher the offset the more "in" the wheel/tire will be. if you wnat flush stick with the 25mm on a 9" rim! 265-40-22 tire.

this website should help: http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Good advice everyone! Tiger thats a good point I never thought of it that way (making it higher but filling the wheel well more)... Hrmmm....

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Since Christmas was just here I didnt have a chance to go ahead and order these wheels yet... Can someone please tell me what wheel offset is going to most resemble the stock offset w/ a 9" wide wheel? I'd like to get these ordered tomorrow.

Thanks!

Latest posts