Finally... One series!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry Matthews

Reaction score
After 13 years, 'The Split' is finally over! Tony George has won the open wheel war. CART, which is now Champ Car, is no more, and will become part of the Indy Racing League. I would have rather seen the turbocharged Cosworths and new Panoz chassis as the car of choice instead of those ugly Dallaras and naturally aspirated Hondas, but Hey! I'm happy that the war is over, and open wheel can finally mean something again. And to top it off, I got the call today asking about whether I wanted the Long Beach Grand Prix tix this year. I turned 'em down, as we'll be racing our karts in Reno that weekend... I had given up on the Champ Car season already. They'll get their butts kicked this year, especially on the ovals, but next year it's on!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the fence with open wheel racing.

Took Theresa to the Cleveland Grand Prix a few years back. While we had fun, I was far from excited being there.

If it is on TV, I will watch it....if there is nothing else on TV.

Tom

I'm a big fan if they are on a road course. Otherwise, it's Nascar with no fenders. And, yes I've been to several events over the years for both. Nascar on a road course is more enjoyable to watch than an oval.

SST,

I'm with you there! I've been to Infineon to watch NASCAR on the road course. Ovals to me are just glorified 'gladiator racing'... Very dangerous for the drivers, especially in open wheel! I fall asleep watching, even if it's open wheelers racing. Hopefully, now that the remaining CART/Champ Car teams are moving over to the IRL, there will be more road courses and less ovals on future schedules, making it more like the CART days of old...

Sorry, but I can't get excited about the IRL. There is no manufacturer participation other than Honda. Spec racing as far as I can see. NASCAR is not far behind. They still have multiple manufacturers but the cars are becoming too generic there as well. Might as well make them all run aftermarket motors and let them paste on whatever decals they want to fool the unsuspecting fans just like they do with Monster Jam or the NHRA nitro classes. How many NHRA Top Fuel cars do you see with Toyota plastered on the side and how many Toyota parts could they possibly use? What a farce. It's all about the Benjamins baby...:rolleyes::wacko::blink:

+1 to blksn8k.

The 80'S & 90's were the NASCAR Golden Years. I was not an Earnhardt (Sr.) fan, but the series began its death when he died. Then little France took over, moved back from Hollywood (body only).

Oh, Krash, I attended the first IRL race (69 laps) at Charlotte, NC many years ago (night race in the late 1990's). On lap #11, the leader began to lap the field. They were doing 220 mph on the backstretch (1.5 mile oval). Somewhere near lap 60, big wreck in front of us coming out of the 4th turn. Red flagged. I think six fans in the Grandstand were killed from debris. Race stopped. Not good.

Ken,

That's why I'm not a big fan of ovals... Too dangerous. I was a CART/Champ Car fan. About the only good thing to come from this is bigger fields at the races, and like I said above, a better possibility of more road courses in the future. Mid Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca would all be great venues instead of say Kentucky or Iowa.

Road races are what real race fans would prefer but the promoter cannot sell as many tickets as he can at an oval track. Can't sell seats that don't exist. Most people who attend oval races want to see wrecks anyway. Although F1 is too political for my taste at least they used to run the road coarse at Indy. Maybe Tony George should fill in the road coarse with more seats. One could arguably say that the Brickyard 400 is now a bigger race than the Indy 500. Yeehaw. :rolleyes:

I am a huge fan of just about all forms of racing. Open wheel was some of the best racing in the world before the split. It will take a few years to get the sponsors, name recognition, etc, all back in place, but at least it's a start. Have been forced to watch NASCAR lately... Road racing is definitely my favorite. I've said they ought to build an extra wide road course inside places like Talledega. Would be much better than restrictor plate "racing." Would be fan friendly with the stadium seating, but offer the challenge of road racing. If you make it extra wide and design it properly you could make for passing and great racing.

Latest posts