Fiberglass Sub Box Complete!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahul Sharma

Reaction score
After what has seemed like an eternity....well i guess 2 months...i've completed my second fiberglass sub box. And i have to say i am much more happier with this one than i was with the first. For starters, i did a much better job on the box itself in terms of the final product....and i was better able to work with fiberglass as well....Second, i have made a box with 2 sealed partitions, 0.9 cuft each for each sub (each sub requires 0.8cuft). The previous enclosure have 1.4 cuft and both subs shared the air space. I can actually HEAR the difference when i put it in my truck last night and that alone was a great feeling :D

This is the build sequence, i'd be happy to answer any and all questions!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

All joints and any gaps were sealed with 5 layers of fiberglass, and a 1-piece carpet was carefully streched and glued to finish it off, after the rough parts were sanded down. Oh, and i also put in a terminal cup this time...i'll have to dig a pic of that out as well, made it that much easier to wire things up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need dimensions bud. I built my box last weekend for my two 10" memphis but they only recommend .3cuft of airspace so i didnt fiberglass it. but i may need to re do it and glass the back of it. hopefully not. anyway. if you could give my some of your dimensions like depth and height. i dont need length. Im worried about my subs firing into the backs of the seats. right now they look like they will all the time. do yours?

Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments!

I am very happy with it, it's exactly what i thought i'd expect....much better, "boomier" bass than in the previous enclosure, the extra space relly helps the subs flex and hit the lows it never did in my old box.

Jerry - at 2 months to complete 1 box, i don't think i can take any orders just yet...not streamlined enough!

Bigjorjiee - a gallon of resin, $38. fiberglass cloth, $40. mdf, tools, tape, foil, screws, paintbrushes - already had them. Canadian $$ btw.

psycareyo - see note to Jerry! it's not that hard man...seriously, just need some time.....

Clay - i can help you out with some dimensions. I finished sound deadening my back wall this weekend with b-quiet ultimate, and then fixed the box in. because i'm in the process of installing about 120 sqft of deadener to the entire trac, i still don't have my back seats in there. no matter what you build though, they will fire into the back seats, it's just a matter of how far back into the box you can place your subs so that they don't hit directly againt the back of the seat. that's why if you look at my box, the center, where the subs are, is recessed in and gaps are fiberglassed so that the subs are as far back in as possibe....

The hieght of the box is 12.5 inches. It's 7" deep on the bottom, and 3" on top. my kickers have a mounting depth of 4 5/16" so if you look at pic #5 above, the black line on the bottom plate is where i mounted the 3/4 mdf speaker plate. you should easily be able to get .3 cuft...i have .9 cuft for each chamber in my box....

haha thats almost exactly the specs of my new box and i did get .3 cuft easy enough but im still having trouble getting the speakers deep enough into the box to not smack against the back of the seat everytime they hit. I may be deciding to go with a different sub though. 6.5" maybe. and may try to do four of them. we'll see.:wacko::blink:

i didnt commit to buying them because the only shop thats gotten any in that i cant find wont stock tens so he told me if i ordered them then they didnt fit i had to buy them anyway. so i was waiting until someone else got some ten's in stock so i could test fit.

that sucks....i would recomend getting the subs before you build the box though. if you were to do something similar to mine, i guess you could go as far as pic#4/5 without them, but you're right you should know what you're putting in them.

If you know how much airspace, mounting depth and excersion you're dealing with you should be able to safely select a subwoofer without waiting for someone else to do it first.

in theory, that's true. but as i am not an expert builder myself, i probably test-fitted the subs in my box at every step f the way. i guess you're right, it's just more of a comfort thing...

yeah, if you look in my profile, in the past i built a box a year ago pretty much just like yours. only it got stolen. And I planned on having the subs before i built the box but when i went to get them and the ones i wanted didnt fit i built the box anyway cause i had free time and scrap wood. I knew that if i didnt build it then i wouldnt have time to until thanksgiving so i went ahead and built it.

Well I finally did it, I ordered my subs today and will pick them up when I get home in two weeks. I found a dealer near where I am now that had them and confirmed that the box that I had specifically built for these speakers works out. They will fit in them just fine, however i have decided to make some styling changes to the box. I will be cutting out sqare holes in the MDF on the back wall of the box behind where the speakers mount. I will stretch fleece over the holes from the outside of the box and then fiberglass from the inside. this will allow me to sink the speakers in deeper and hopefully be able to fit a grill in between the box and the seat, as well as a beauty board to cover the amps and the exposed metal of the cab around the box. I am planning to put a plexiglass window in front of the amps and light them up. Hoping I can pull off what I am planning. Will post pictures. How are you liking your new set up not that it has been awhile RS?

Latest posts