Farewell ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ioco

Reaction score
Some of you may remember my post from two months ago, where I was getting the wandering eye for something else.

Well, it happened. Another member from here bought my old Trac, and a week or so later, I took delivery of this

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I've only put a hundred miles on it, but I'm very impressed and pleased so far. It's sexy and solid, and a nice step up from my Sport Trac. One guy referred to it as my ST on steroids! :lol: I only wish it was a Ford. This is the first GM I've ever had... I'm a die hard Ford guy, but it seems GM hit a homerun with this one. I was shopping between this and the SuperCrew, but this one was much more practical for me, plus it fits in my garage, but just barely.

So it's farewell to my ST, but not this forum. This is a great group of pepople. I've jumped onto one of the Chevy Ave fan websites, and it's just not the same. So I'll keep cheking in here from time to time.

Thank you everyone for the help you've provided me with my ST over the past 5 years. This forum made it that much more fun to own. And best of luck to the new owner of my old baby. I know she's in good hands!

I actually like the looks of the new Tahoe/AV/Suburban. The front end is streamlined, yet still agressive looking. Like the wheels too! Congrats on your purchase!

Did you look at/drive an '07 before you decided on this?? I had an '01, and I can tell you that my '07 is way, way better than my '01 as far as fit/finish. When I go over bumps, nothing inside rattles, and it is so much quieter inside!

No, I didn't drive the 07. My mind was made up when I saw the styling of the new ST. The concept was pretty agressive looking, but this one softened up greatly.

I think Avalanche fans think the new Ave softened up a bit, but I think it's for the better. BTW, this was actually cheaper to lease than the new ST is.

Sacrilage! Judas! Anything but a crapalanche! Say it ain't so!....seriously, if you bought what you wanted, and you like it, congrats. Don't be a stranger....this is an open forum.

The new style ...lanche looks MUCH better than the robot wannabe looking first gen boogers.

I know, I know. The old ones turned my stomach, and I couldn't figure out what people liked about them. Then I met this one, and it changed my heart!

A Die hard ford man would have bought an '07 ST. So you lied...:lol:

Good luck, its a chevy and will be falling apart, before you turn it in..:p

Not looking too bad, My girl had been dying for one of those.

Yup, He got a GM, but at least it's not a rice burner. ;)

A Die hard ford man would have bought an '07 ST. So you lied...

LOL! If not the ST, at least the SuperCrew, right? I had a hard time justifying that one with the wife because she thought it was just huge, and it wouldn't fit in the garage. And, it didn't have the multi-displacement engine, or a cover on the bed.

Rodger said:
I found out years ago the unless you are able to write off the cost of the lease from your income taxes, you are losing money.

That all depends on your analysis Rodger. The most telling cost comparison of leasing vs buying is calculating actual cost per mile. For a leased vehicle figuring out the cost per mile is pretty simple, especially estimating that cost prior to leasing (assuming you don't go over mileage wise). The same analysis can be done with a vehicle you purchase, but to be fair, after the equivalent lease period is up, you have to calculate how much you have paid to-date, and how much the vehicle value is at that point for a third-party sale vs amount owed.

For example:

A typical lease for a ~$30K vehicle:

- $2000 due at lease signing, $350/month for 39 months and a total of 39K miles.

- Total cost out of pocket is: $15,650

- Cost per mile is: 40.13¢

- Equity at end of finance period: $0

Same 30K vehicle purchased:

- $30K, + 6% sales tax = $31,800

- $2000 down payment, 3.9% apr, 39 month loan (for apples to apples).

- Assume same miles driven as above.

- Monthly payment = $814.79

- Total cost out of pocket is: $33,776.81

- Cost per mile is: 86.61¢

- Equity at end of finance period: varies

However, for purchased vehicle to be as cost effective the leased vehicle it would have to

be worth at least: (86.61¢ - 40.13¢) * 39K miles....which is $14,227.

So the questions ultimately are:

- Can you get a good rate of 3.9% or lower when purchasing (some can't, not always)?

- Will that 3+ year old vehicle purchased vehicle be worth well over the cost differential at the same point in time as the lease termination...most will, of course, that's how "residual" is calculated?

- Can you get a great deal on the lease (knocked down below $300/month)?

- Are you the type that wants a new car every 3 years or so?

- Can you afford large monthly payments when purchasing in order to get lower finance rates and to assure you are payments keep your principle balance owed ABOVE the market value of the car... in other words stay clear of "negative equity" (many have trouble doing this).

Leasing makes sense, even financially for some people. It will almost NEVER make financial sense for those people that drive their cars 5+ years.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator: