fan and shroud removal for belt tensioner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnmaine

Reaction score
On my OEM manual it tells me to remove 4 bolts in front of fan to remove. but when I looked under the hood I see 4 bolts behind the fan and 4 bolts on the pulley. If there is 4 bolts in front of the fan how the hell can you get to it because you have to remove the shroud first. but you can't the fan has to be disconnected before the shroud removal....I want to replace my belt tensioner. Maybe it can be done without removing all of this but its really tight quarters. This is for my 2004 ford sport trac 4x4 auto. trans.

There are 2 or four bolts on the fan shroud holding it forward against the radiator. These have to be rmoved, allowing the fan to come up. Rent the fan blade removal tool from Autozone with the large wrenches. Use this to loose the fan from the shaft. Once loose both the fan/fanclutch assembly and fan shroud will lift up and out of the way, providing full access to the belt tensioner.

I just did this in the fall.

No need to remove the fan and shroud, it's very easy to replace the tensioner without doing that. Remove the air intake tube and box for better access, that's about as much as you need to remove to gain enough access. :banana:

Yup I didn't need to remove the shroud nor fan.....BUT!!! has anybody know about this. My idler pulley Dayco part# 89006 Was the correct part for my year. But when i pulled the old one off The bolt is a fixed bolt that stays into the pulley and the new one is not set up like this. If the bolt would of came off, the hole on the new pulley is to big for the bolt....Am i missing something here???

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Never mind I see what needs to be done I guess there is a lock type washer that gets removed and there is a bushing for the extra large hole.......

Latest posts