Failed safety inspection question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
I just took my truck to get the safety and emission inspection and they failed it because of my cold air intake:angry: I have had the CAI for over 6 years and it never failed before, now they say it is missing the thermostatic air filter which makes the air warmer so the engine burns less fuel. But they said it passed the emission test????? So I asked how can it fail the safety due to the thermostatic filter whichs makes the motor burn less fuel, but pass the sniffer test? They said since the truck did not come stock with the CAI it fails. So now i have to go to junkyard find a stock explorer air filter box and put it back in so it will pass.

Anyone else ever have this problem? i am furious about this....:angry::angry::angry:

Chad, go somewhere else. There is no thermostatic air filter on the trac. Those air warmers were deleted when multi-port fuel injection came out.

This guy doesnt know what he is talking about.

Is your CAI homemade or a manufactured product? If it is manufactured it most likley has CARB or another cert..

Go elsewhere. As I said the guy doesnt know. As I said the trac doesnt have a thermostatic air filter....

Good news!!!! I called the Missouri Highway Patrol Inspection Division and they said the inspector was wrong.... CAI do not fail vehicles... So they are going to call the shop and tell them to pass my vehicle...:bwahaha:

Great some other moron from the Highway patrol says the CAI do fail vehicles. WTF!!!!!!!!!!! How in world can Ford, Chevy, Dodge, K&N sell CAI for vehicles and they are illegal??

Depends on your emissions laws, and whether they state that any non-oem emissions part on the exhaust...

Normally this applies to the muffler for noise pollution laws, but I've never heard of them looking at the CAI. In NY/NJ they never even opened my hood, just plugged in the OBD2 reader. No sniff test either since the Tracs were post 1995 (I think) and only needed to do the OBD2 dump. The idea is that if you have an emissions issue, the OBD2 will report it. This is why a CEL on the dashboard automatically fails you.

If you ask me the shop is trying to scam you. Do what you need to pass and then report them in writing to the state's regulating authority.

The heck with that, come to FL, no testing period. If your wheels fly off well that was your dumbass problem.

After 30 something years up in NY, this is like a weight lifted off my Trac and I.

Last edited by a moderator:
As said go else where. this guy thinks tracs have a, thermostatic air filter....

He dont know anything if he thinks that. Do you have a freind that is stock. Take him with you. Have the guy to show you the, thermostatic air filter....

He cant because it dont exist....

The only emission part on the intake tube, is. Do you have the tube from the pasenger valve cover to the intake tube? Or do you have it bypassed with a zabteck bypass kit?

Chad,

If the MHP said it will pass and they will call the shop, why do you need an airbox?

Tom

The MHP called me back and said the CAI would fail the vehicle. I went to a Firestone shop by my house and talked with the inspector there and he said the CAI would NOT fail the vehicle, and he would pass mine. So I am out another 36 bucks for another inspection. I think I am just dealing with complete morons at the original shop and the Highway Patrol.

Thanks for the link Eddie,

But I would not le myself pay 40 bucks for a stock intake system. Explorers are plentiful at the pick and pull junkyards and that entire system can be picked up for cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to do an emissions test before September.

Am I going to be running into this same problem with my "Zabteck Full Under Hood Kit" ? Sounds like a pain in the a$$.

Latest posts