Factory Tonneau leaking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul McDevitt

Reaction score
Its leaking across the center seam, several drip marks on the bed directly below the center hinge. I don't think water is coming in along the entier rubber gasket though. The rubber gasket seems to have shrunk and pulled toward the center, off the endcap at one end of the hinge. I think water is getting in there, running across the underside of the hinge, and dripping down onto the bed at various point.

Obvious temporary fix is a dab of silicon on inside and outside where the gasket has pulled off the endcap, but that won't last long with opening and closing.

Suggestions?

I had trouble with that years ago. Drilled out the rivets and used short 1/4 20 bolts to tighten it up. Some have also used silicone between the seal when doing so.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks for the tip, I'll go ahead and do that one nice spring day soon as a precaution. But, I don't think it is leaking across the width. Even if it is, that fix won't correct the shortening of the rubber, so it pulls inward off the endcap on the edge of the cover.

Thanks anyway, though, good tip in general.

I seem to remember somone saying in a post a month or so ago that this is kind of a common problem with the OEM tonneaus. I never heard it before then but thats what was said in the post.

Latest posts