Factory Subwoofer Hookup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay White

Reaction score
My 01 has an aftermarket (previous owner) cd/radio (Sony) that sounds great but is weak on base. Discovered that the subwoofer is not putting out any sound. Got a feeling that it is not wired up. :( Anyone have any suggestions on how to wire in the factory subwoofer into an aftermarket player? Thanks!

There is sopposedly a adapter to get it to work. Some audio places can get them to work others just tell you it can't be done. There has to be a way of "hardwiring" it but to look at the schematic is like reading greek. (I have a DVD with it on there);)

Greg, is the adapter you found item #BBWHFD-1? If so that does not fit any Sport Trac. It is for 1982-1985 Ford audio systems. If not, please let me know the item or model number that you found. I couldn't find anything else on the BB web page. Thanks for your efforts.

I work at a car audio shop and I can post how to do it by monday and I will put it under the member projects to.

i did not purchase it last night,the guy only had one,he was getting more in today,i'll pick one up and post the part number.if it works i'll let you know. if you want i'll pick one up and send it to you..

I was wondering if there is a way to tell if your ST came with a sub from the factory or not. I have a 03 SLT. I bought it used. The guy said it's a SLT Premium or something to that effect. But I don't think it has a sub. Plus it's only a single CD player. I'm wondering if the previous owner pulled out the sub!

Thanks,

Hutch

Hutch, this link shows you where to look. Since you have the single-CD player and not either of the two (Audiophile/Adrenalin) six-CD players, it's not likely that you have the sub installed.

My '03 Adrenaline has a single-CD player (wish I knew how to add a magazine to it).

The subwoofer is under the left rear seat. Look under there-- it takes up the entire space under the seat cushion. It is quite apparent if you have one.

here are 2 links to the item you need. i have yet to get one or install it but am planning on it shortly. i had my factory head unit replaced when the 6 disc changer ate my cd's and wouldn't give them back. the guy who installed the new unit also told me that the controls in the back seat will work again once the part is installed.

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/LOCX.html

Hooking up anything other than a Ford factory radio to the factory sub/amp and you will likely get a loud THUMP when you turn the unit on.

A buddy of mine works at a Ford dealership, they had to hookup the sub/amp, I could not figure it out.

Don't worry, you will get used to the THUMP.