Factory rims

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hi all,

How does one go about matching the color for the rims that came with my 2003 ST?

regards,

Benny

Color is actually part of the issue.

The Hollander ref# is 3416. 5 "straight" spoke.

I found one at the salvage yard, but the color on the inlays are a darker color than the rest of the wheel. The ones on my truck are bright silver

Most Large auto paint supliers can either go by yr. Or may have a meter that can anylize the color on your own rims.

I wasnt aware of the silver inlays on the 5 spoke wheels being different. Maybe the salvage rim needs some TLC to brighten the paint.

It it really noticeable when the wheels are at the 4 corners? Right next to each other for comparison color difference will be noticed but a shade or two off separated by the body panels and only you may notice.

The inlays are intentionally colored different by the manufacturer. I think maybe certain color inlayts come with certain color trucks - not sure.

And it may not be noticable mounted at the four corners as you say, but I am very picky..

There must be some way to distinguish between these differences...Maybe a part number on the inside of the rim? I see some numbers/codes but wouldn't know which one has meaning (if any)

Benny, you can't be too picky, you bought a used wheel....:banana:

I just went out to look at mine (2002). They are painted and the insets are machined/clear coated aluminum.

They are the same as the ones as Kevin's Sport Trac of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies.

It appears Torrie has one - and new to boot. From what I can tell, he is a respected and reputable guy so I will likely order from him. Just a bit nervous though buying a rim sight unseen.....

thanks for all the advice thus far!

nervous though buying a rim sight unseen.....

Benny, dont be suprised if it doesnt match.

The silver inlays had nonthing to do with the color or year of the trac.

On this type of product, it is all in the paint batch ordered. Ford and many other manufactors, dont make most of their wheels in house.

Enkei Wheel is one of the largest suppliers of factory wheels. There are others also.

Ford and others, give the specs including the paint codes. The wheels are produced in batches as same as the paint. One batch to another the paint maybe slightly different.

Body repair at a good shop. Not only will go by the paint code. I have seen them take the gas door or such to a auto paint supply. They use colormeters and so to get an exact mix match.

That is not so with wheel manufactors producing new batch. They just get close by color codes.

Good luck.....

Thanks for the tip Eddie.

I am not so much looking for the absolute exact match as much as I am not getting a "tan" or "gray" as opposed to the silver my are.

regards

Hey guys,

Finally found one at a salvage yard. Appears in great shape and they tell me it is physically sound. Gonna check for proper balance etc tonight.

Les - piant? ugh sounds like work.... :grin:

Latest posts