Factory Gps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know how he did it.

http://www.avelectronic.com

Downside is that you have to send the radio to them to have it modified, thus killing any warranty.

You are better off getting the basic stock radio and then purchasing an aftermarket NAV system that plays DVDs as well. I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z1, which is now the Z3. Check it out... I have a few pics of mine in my library. You get all the features of the factory nav and more. By the way, Pioneer makes the Ford factory NAV system but they disable the DVD functionality.

But, if you have the factory stock radio and the vehicle is equipped with Sync, will the aftermarket unit be compatible with Sync?

That's what I figured also. Sync was developed my Microsoft, and we know very well how they don't like to play with others!:wacko:

Bluetooth and voice recognition capabilities on the aftermarket unit does most of the same sync functions. You can use your phone through the radio (Using Bluetooth) which I beleive is a sync function. The Pioneer AVIC-Z series units has speech recognition for radio and map functionality which i beleive is another sync function.

Sync does not function without the factory HU at present. Metra is working on an interface kit. Should be out in a couple months.

I wouldn't buy a factory nav. It's overpriced and it's stuck in one vehicle. Spend $600-800 on a Garmin and get one thats portable imo.

Spend $1000 -$1500 on a dash dvd tuner HU and you're still better off price wise than buying the factory nav imo.

True, but to utilize those functions with an aftermarket unit, you have to buy their accessories. However, it would be nice if there was in interface that allowed aftermarket head units to fully integrate with the factory installed Bluetooth/Sync system and factory installed microphone.