F150 v6?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to be 4.2 6 cylinder. I had a '97 Flareside manual 2wd, single cab with it in. It had plenty power. I don't think they currently offer it. It would be easier to find a 4.6.

It was a 4.2L. The 4.2 was a bored and stroked 3.8L from the older Mustangs, Tauruses, and Windstars. I don't think it would shoehorn into a Trac.

My suggestion is if you're going to be going thru the motions of a motor swap. make a bigger difference than the 4.2.

I had an F-150 with a 4.2 and I wouldn't say it was a power house, besides...the gas mileage was a killer.

Denis

I drove a 150 w/ the v6, got better mileage than the ST does on the trip I took with it, had plenty of power for use as a daily driver, didn't tow with, just a 400 mile mostly interstate trip, but won't venture a guess whether it would fit in an ST

You'll need LOTS of fab work and cutting to fit a 4.6 in a Gen 1. Not worth the work.... keep it simple and go with a 5.0, stroke it to a 347 and throw an STS turbo on it. You'll have more power than you know what to do with! The 4.6 and 5.4 modular motors are HUGE compared to our 4.0 and even to the 5.0. ~edit~ see the pic below, although that is a DOHC 4.6 motor.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
im not looking for un godly power... my 4.0 has reached its limit or is very close to it, so its either sell the truck or put a new engine in it, and i didnt know if there was a cost effective v8 swap or a v6 with more output than the 4.0. would the 4.0 in a mustang push any more power? ive priced the 4.0 new at $2,900 so i would be looking in that price range, i know there have been 5.0 AWD swaps from mountaineers, but how much did that cost after it was all said and done...could always go with the 4BT cummins route:rolleyes:

The 4.2 has an annoying tendency to go through head gaskets. Best thing would be to look for a Gen 2 Trac with a V8.

If you do the majority of the work yourself and find a good donor vehicle, I believe the 5.0 swap can be done for about $700-1000 over the cost of the donor, probably even less. You'll need some minor exhaust work, possibly a driveshaft modification, some fluids and misc, A/C evacuate/recharge, and a good set of wiring manuals for both trucks. There's also the speedometer issue, but there's a module from a 4 cylinder Ranger that should solve the problem. I think Don D. has more details on it.

Yes, he is. You'll want a 99-01 Explorer or Mountaineer, I think 98 might have been OK as well. They're long lasting motors, I had 263K on mine when I sold it and it ran flawlessly.

Your best bet is to find a 5.0 V8 from a '98-01 Explorer/Mountaineer. That's what Don D did. Its's as close as you'll get to a direct swap/ fit for the ST.

A 4.6L V8 will not fit in a Gen 1 ST.

Of course, if you're just looking for more power. there's the EE supercharger.

Also, check out SuperSixMotorSports.com.

Out of curiosity, not to thread jack but when doing the 5.0 swap, is it necessary to do it with AWD. Can you not just swap the motor and tranny into our existing 4wd setup?

I don't think AWD is necessary, the donor vehicle that Don used just happened to have AWD.

As for the 5.0's power, that would be entirely up to you and how you want to build the engine.

Try looking up specs for 2001 Explorer on Edmonds.com, Should be able to find 5.0 engine specs there.

The AWD is simply a result of the viscous coupling transfer case (BW 4404) used by the 4R70W transmission that you'll have behind the 5.0. There are some 2wd 5.0 Ex's out there, but they're not really common. To get true 4wd, you can swap in a BW4406 transfer case with a little extra work and cost. To the best of my knowledge, the 4.0 transfer case won't bolt to the 4R70W tranny.

The stock 5.0 was rated at 215hp, but it had 50 or 60 more ft/lb's of torque than the 4.0. While doing the swap, install a set of Torque Monster headers, 1.6 roller rockers and a 1" intake spacer for a very significant power increase. The headers alone have been dyno proven to gain 20 hp and 30 ft/lb's of torque time and time again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts