ExxonMobil earns Record $10 Billion Profit in Quarter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q: they need to invest in alternate RENEWABLE sources, not just better ways to get at hard-to-extract oil & gas. I'm not impressed with that article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Q and you wonder why people don't like/trust big business and people who work for them. What an example you've just set with those comments. I'm glad I don't purchase gasoline from ExxonMobil.

Putting Q's personal attacks aside, I agree with his sentiments about business. It is what got this nation to where it is. And I love it.

Big business does all that Q.

They also:

a. lay off huge numbers of people to make the next quarter's profits attractive. (IBM anyone?)

b. they award huge bonuses to the guys in the ivory towers and give nothing to the real workers down in the trenches. (American Airlines anyone?)

c. "pay off" government officials with massive campaign contributions to get their special interest legislation passed. (Just about all of them anyone?)

d. lie cheat and steal as much as they can get away with (Enron anyone? And there are plenty more examples.)

It's a two edged sword and all I would like to see happen is the bad edge be observed to make sure it doesn't get too out of hand. Leave the good edge alone, but be wary of the bad one.

Nelson, you are always trying to be the voice of reason.

Your rational posts and level headed arguments are beginning to irritate me.

To help everyone, please take the above post and insert:

Republicans

Democrats

Christians

unions

ST owners

Pop Tart flavors

Last edited by a moderator:
edited post, with FKent's suggestions:

Just because there are a few bad Republicans, Democrats and Christians, doesn't mean all the Nation's businesses should be run by unions. They should focus on quality -- ST owners know our STs are built that way. Of course, it was probably some overpaid union worker that dreamed up the chocolate and cinnamon Pop Tart flavors. What we're they thinking?? :p

Nelson,

Now you've gone and done it. You can curse my God and you can hate my President but no one, and I mean no one takes pot shots at my Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts.

I expect an apology post haste for offending me and tens of others who like this flavor.

Just because there are a few bad flavors out there is no reason to lump in Brown Sugar Cinamon too!

Only 2 things to say

1. If ol Teddy R was our Pres. (Republican) this stuff (gas and oil prices out of hand) wouldnt be going on.They just dont make men like that any more. So no it's not a R vs D problem it's a greedy big Bis problem.

2. Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts SUCK THE BAG MAN. You need 3 glasses of milk to choke just one of them down and they dont get any better when warmed up.

Big business gives donations (bribes) to political parties so that they may vote in the direction that will best suit the company, not the citizans.

I would like nothing more then to see a buisness succeed, but when they buiy thier way to become bigger, it is wrong. The Rich get Richer and the Poor get Poorer. The biggest tax breaks are for those that don't need the tax break. Cars that save you money in gas cost more so those that can afford it get to save the money while those that need to save the money cant. They are forced to drive the 1970 Nova that gets 8 MPG while the rich guy can buy a Toyota Prius and get 40+ MPG and save money doing that.

Big buisness likes it that way. I think they should be held accountable for thier actions. They screw thier employees out of retirement benefits and hand it to the federal government to assume, the company should be disolved and the employees get the money left. Do that once or twice and shareholders will be a little more critical about thier investments.

Tom

Q - two criticisms of your first post

Corporatiopns do not pay taxes, they merely collect them from their customers by including taxes in the Cost of Goods Sold.

You didn't post four hundred footnotes (with at least half sourced from the DNC, PBS and the Green Party, aka The Artist Formerly Known As The Communist Party) to explain the background and supporting basics of economics for the myriad posters on this board who are either anti-business or just ignorant of how business actually works.

Q-

I like to see people of my own heart pop in here once in a while. Business Ethics and Economics are my particular areas of study along with engineering and many of the statements made by some people are so.... well.... uneducated.

First off, Exxon, Chevron, Murphy, etc all put gasoline into the pipelin system (most of which is owned and/or operated by Williams Energy BTW) and each station pulls out oil/gass asnecessary. Your local stations all probably get their fuels from one or two local depots (in my area, we get gas from Little Rock and Memphis). To say I'm not buying gas from Exxon is more like saying "I'm not going to breath over here, but rather over there, across the road". The only time that the gas is different from one station to the next is the minute it is pumped out of the tankers into the storage tanks onsite.

Rocco-

They also:

a. lay off huge numbers of people to make the next quarter's profits attractive. (IBM anyone?)

-If you have a company more than 20 years old with more than 5 people that has NEVER laid anyone off, I would congradulate you, but then question what you are doing. Obviously you are using a computer, probably with either an Intel or AMD processor, maybe made by Dell or Gateway or Compaq, possibly others. Guess what? It's probably taken more than 1000 people to put that computer in your hands on on your desk. A company cannot constantly loose money and stay going. If they don't make money, they have to cut back somewhere. No money probably means no sales, therefore extra people. Do the math.

b. they award huge bonuses to the guys in the ivory towers and give nothing to the real workers down in the trenches. (American Airlines anyone?)

-Used to work for American Airlines. When you do the job that Don Carty or his replacement do, I applaud you. They often times take a salary of only a few dollars a year. They have unions to deal with, the pressures of running a multi-billion dollar company and dealing with regulators. They are the where the buck stops. Personally, if a company and board of directors saw fit to put me in a place of such risk, I would expect some reward especially for a job well done. When the CEO makes $20 Million/year, he may actually walsk away with only $8 million after taxes, which will then be used to pay for someone's welfare check.

c. "pay off" government officials with massive campaign contributions to get their special interest legislation passed. (Just about all of them anyone?)

-I made a polical donation from mycheck. Am I bad too?

d. lie cheat and steal as much as they can get away with (Enron anyone? And there are plenty more examples.)

There are more than 1 million companies in the US. THere were less than 20 with these specific problems. That is what, .002% of the companies in this country? Nearly 10,000 companies have given $10,000 or more in contributions to Katrina.... so you're going to let 1 egg spoil 1/2 million cakes?

It's not the oil companies that need to be investigated, but rather the speculators in the commodities markets. The oil companies have the right as capitalists to charge what the market will bear. Ford makes record profits on the sales of Expedition SUV's, but who's outthere complaining? When the New VW Beetle first came into the US, dealers couldn't keep them on the lots. THere were people paying 50% or more over the MSRP for one of those vechicles. That's what the market would bear. There are other means of transportation. Ride a bike, ride a horse, walk, etc. Personally, it was my choice to live 15 miles away from my place of employment. It was my choice to buy an ST. I must live with the consequences of my choices.

THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO STAY OUT OR THE PROBLEM WILL BE WORSE!!

<script src=http:/

Latest posts