Exhaust questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to my Trac, mainly just to give her more pep. I've done most of what I originally intended, but I'm kicking around the idea of replacing my exhaust with either a Gibson or Magna Flow kit.

Ive already cut off the resonator and had a magna flow muffler welded on, but when I look at it I wonder if it's truly as free flowing as possible. The exhaust shop welded two sleeves, one after the cats, and one after the muffler. It sounds great! But the sleeves are much larger than the stock tubing, and I don't know how far the factory piping extends inside each sleeve, so I wonder if the exhaust gasses end up swirling around in the sleeves a little instead of passing straight through... Not sure if that makes sense to anyone besides me.

Anyway, the idea annoys me and I decided I'm probably gonna replace it all with a complete kit. The problem is that the Magna flow kit is a crappy 409 stainless steel that will rust eventually, and for it's price I'm not sure I want to spring for it.

The Gibson offers a 2.5" and a 3" choice. Aluminized steel and a better quality 304 stainless option. I can paint the Aluminized steel and save money, or go with the higher quality stainless... So it seems like an easy choice, but I read a review on Gibsons website from a 4.6 Trac Owner, said the exhaust sounded tinny and raspy.... Not at all what I'm looking for. I really like the way my magna flow muffler sounds and wouldn't want that sound to change drastically.

So that's my Dilemma. Any inputs or advice on any of this would be great. Especially the 3" vs 2.5" piping... I've done plenty of searching on multiple forums and have read conflicting things. Some say the 3" is almost a requirement to get the most flow and performance, and some say it's too big and it causes a loss of torque off the line (which I don't want because while I don't race, the mods I'm doing to my truck are all designed to make me get from 0 to whatever faster.

Thanks

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe Todd Z would have used the Magnaflow or Gibson kit if it was worthwhile

Apply the money you saved on a catback towards an XCal tuner from Torrie. JMO

Exhaust pics on bottom.

Depends how radical -

I added a true dual set up and gained 33 horsepower on the dyno but I am Cat-Free, 12psi blown, and run only on 105 octane so my gains might not be yours - I had to go this route after blowing mufflers apart at the seams from the boost pressure. A few Magnafow, one stock and I started with the gibson cat-back

[Broken External Image]:

On a modern day stock, and by stock I mean no engine mechanicial mods, vehicle you aren't going to notice any power gains unless you jump up in tube size and then you will notice a lack of power down low but may experience an increase in the higher rpm ranges but who drives in the upper rpm ranges on a consistant basis... If your going to add an exhaust do so for sound only and stick with the same size tubing

Rick, here are a couple of shot of my truck. You'll notice 2 things. 1) I used a dual in/ dual out muffler(Magnaflow). This saved space and provided an internal cross-over to balance pressures. 2) Unlike SVT's red truck, you'll also notice that both of the pipes went over the top of the center section of the rear diff. Didn't lose any ground clearance and it set up the passenger side pipe to go right around the spare tire. Clean looking installation.

The rear exhaust tips(Magnaflow).

[Broken External Image]:

From the front of the muffler looking forward toward the motor.

[Broken External Image]:

The rear of the muffler.

[Broken External Image]:

And the passenger pipe coming around the spare tire.

[Broken External Image]:

Any questions? Send me an email or call my cell, 609-290-7566. Bob

Bob,

I consider yours to be a true dual. The mufler you used provided an internal x-pipe. Good Idea......:supercool:

If I ever do a true dual on my '04. Probably what I will do, for clearance. I will still need the x-pipe after the 2 converters, for the O2 sensor though.

I've had a Gibson on my V6 almost since I got it new. It makes a V6 sound as good as it ever will. Their 2.5" system is for the V6 and the 3" is for the V8. I got the aluminized steel, washed it with Dawn, roughed it up with a Scotchbrite pad, and painted it with hi-temp paint. After four years in the salt belt the front pipe and muffler still look pretty good but I had to have the tailpipe replaced last year, had a muffler shop just bend one up. The system was very easy to install.

If you look at the new explorer - they all have the corvette style of exhaust - and remember - no resonater - scavaging x-pipe - no cats - before going the dual pipe - that added 33hp on the rollers - so its a package deal and the 20" spare on the adrenalin even with the heat shield off would not take the pipes Bob's way :(

Besides, something tells me that hot rod won't be seeing much need for more than 6" or so of clearance lol

A lot of guys are very pleased with the Dynomax Superturbo for the V-6. It's on the quiet side but it's deeper and not as raspy over 2000 RPMs. I'm still torn between that or a louder flow master...

The pics of both of those stainless duals give me wood everytime i see them!

(Cousin Eddie voice ON): "Bob, would you mind if I asked you how much that there dual exhaust set you back? It looks to be of very good quality."

I actually changed exhaust one more time to two vertical sitting 26" MagnaFlow - I just wrapped this up and will now be true dual vs. true dual unto a double in and double out muffler - the light Drone is gone and now playing with the cam timing - it sounds all cammed up

Latest posts