exhaust question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sullivan VanWay

Reaction score
I was on the gibson website today listening to the sounds page and I noticed the duals for the mustang 4.0l (which has the same engine as my st) sounded alot cooler than the one for my st. Is there any other exhaust that will make my truck sound like the "stang"? Thanks

I'm not aware of anyone who makes a dual system for the 07-08. I don't know for sure but the 4.0 Mustang system is likely OE dual cats with dual mufflers, dual pipes ("Dual carburators, dual glove compartment, everything dammit gonna be dual."--Bill Cosby, 200 MPH :lol: ).

I have the Gibson cat-back single system on my 08 4.0 Trac. Sounds good on the outside but frankly I think it's too friggin' loud inside so I added a chrome resonator tip.

For a dual system you'll have to get it custom bent I think. Then you still have the single cat though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty much a slam-dunk to put on, although I'd recommend a lift. A friend of mine has one. You will need some shorter bolts and springs for the flange behind the cat, the kit does not come with them but the stockers are too long. The Gibson has fatter pipe at 2.5". It is a little tight where it goes over the rear axle and you have to fiddle with it some so it doesn't hit the pumpkin. Do a search, I posted a more involved thread about it.

The OE system was only three months old and covered in rust. I roughed up the Gibson with some sandpaper and painted it with silver hi-temp paint. No rust yet.

It IS loud, especially when the engine is under load. Especially inside. You may need to tighten the clamps up once or twice afterward if you put it on with hand tools.

I was going to make a separate post about the mpg on my recent trip, but the break-in switch recently went off at 10k miles (this is my third 4.0 SOHC, they all do that), mpg took a jump, and on a level Interstate in Florida with the cruise set on 70 we were knocking down 22 mpg. Mileage in town, not much improvement.

Sal-V said:
How much shorter of bolts and springs, and where would I get them? Lowes?

I'd say about 1" shorter bolts and 1/2" shorter springs. My buddy had some laying around. The shoulder on the stock bolt is too long and the nut bottoms out before it is tight because the flanges are slightly different.

l1tech said:
I really want to put this system on my ST also but am afraid of the interior noise level.

Then you won't like it unless you drop some more coin for a resonator at the back or maybe a Flowmaster 50 and make it fit. The Gibson system as-is is very loud inside the truck.