exhaust question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julio R

Reaction score
I was checking out some places to get my exhaust done and the option for cutting out the existing muffler and replacing it with a a different one has has come up a few times I had one place put my trac on a life and it is still pretty clean and i only have 5800 miles so that was what i was expecting one place also said i could provide the muffler and they would install it as well. Both places also gave me the option for cat back as well. what in the inlet/outlet config for an 08 v6 xlt? and which way should i go cut or cat back?

Julio, i have a V-8 but I think they might be the same. The muffler and resonator unbolts after the cats where the "y" is . Any new system will then bolt right up. Pipe size at that point is 2.5", I went to "Planet Magnaflow", best price, no delivery charge, had it in 1 week.

Then went local Minecke shop and they charged me $69 to remove and install and threw away all the old stuff. Hope this helps, Bob

I have an '08 V6 also. I put a Gibson cat-back on, which was basically a slam-dunk. It did help that I have a friend who owns a transmission shop, i.e. he's got a lift, but it only took me and him less than 45 minutes to put it on. We only needed to scrounge up some shorter bolts and springs for the flange at the cat.

You will have two problems if you try to install a different muffler on the stock system. 1) the OE exhaust is only 2" in diameter which negates a lot of the gain you might have. 2), OE exhausts are fully welded from the factory which makes cutting and pasting new stuff a PITA that will leak sooner or later. In my experience, the tailpipe WILL NOT come out unless you cut it and you will have to do that to flare it to fit a new muffler. This is why the first time you need a muffler on a vehicle the muffler shop just replaces the whole system. It is actually much easier to do it that way.