Ever had your brake pad seperate?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taco Jackson

Reaction score
2004 ST with 26k miles on it here. A couple weeks ago we started hearing a horrible squeeling when applying the brakes. Took it to the Ford Dealership, they checked the brakes and said they looked like brand new, very little wear at all. Said it was just a dry spot or something on the pads, not to worry about it.

A week later we're driving and hear a massive grinding when applying the brakes. Take it to our local mechanic (a very trusted guy we know) and he said (and showed me) that the pad on the right front had seperated from the backing. He said its an extremely rare freak occurance. Once the pad fell off somewhere, then of course the application of the brakes ground the backing into the rotor. So, hooray, $450 to replace the front pads and rotors.

Is that something you all have seen or heard of happening? The Ford Dealership insists that things were fine when they checked the pads, i just cant help but think the squeeling was some kind of prognostication, but they refuse to say so. I quickly tired of trying to pin blame and just paid the local mechanic to replace it all. Frustrating though.

Were they original pads? I'd say go back to the dealer and show them. I'd put on a real show before I get it repaired elsewhere. Besides that, do it yourself, it's not that bad a job. You can do both front rotors and pads for around $100 at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
All 8 pads on our motorhome seperated from the backing plate.

The guy that owned it before us towed an 8000 LB trailer with a 17,000 LB motorhme without an electric brake controller installed.

Tom

Your mechanic is correct. It is very rare to have pads separate from the backing plate. With the modern adhisives and hi-tech bonding materials we have today, it is very rare to have a speparation, but it does happen. It was not that long ago that all pads/shoes were bonded and rivetted to prevent separation because the glues were not as reliable.

As for warranty, there is none on the brakes after 12K miles. You might want to try to approach Ford by stating this was an obvious failure of a factory part and not "Normal Wear & Tear". A sympathetic service manager may agree to refund some of you money.

...Rich

Yeah, that's why I didn't go back to the Ford Dealership. First of all because they've all been dicks everytime we've gone in there. (The Ford Dealership near me just has a bad rap anyway.) and I didn't want them doing anything else. I was told by my mechanic the best I could hope for is a brake pad replacement under warranty, which is just a fraction of the cost of fixing everything so why bother. Especially since they'd offset the cost savings at the Ford Dealership with higher rates. So Im just not going to them unless my personal mechanic tells me something is definately 100% warranty work. I'd do my own brakes but Im a pasty white computer geek, and such manual labor would melt me like a witch in a rainstorm.