Evaporator Core Drain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a 2004 ST has a drain tubing attached to the bottom of the evaporator core housing? I've recently replaced the evaporator and there wasn't a tube attached to it, however, now that my A/C is up and cooling. There's a lot of cold air being lost out of the drainage opening on the bottom of the housing. Seems to me if there was a tube attached, this would prevent so much cold air escaping.

I have never NOT seen a drain tube. As you mentioned, without it there will be air loss. The tube is slightly crimped so water and dirt stay out, water can drain, and it keeps the air inside the vehicle..

Drain tube must have fell off. Mine has one on the pasenger side firewall. Slightly crimped as CJ said.

Last edited by a moderator:
EddieS'04,

Is the tube you're talking about attached to the fitting that exits the firewall?

There's an opening at the bottom of the evaporator housing itself. This is incorporated into the housing that the evaporator is in. As far as I could tell, this did not have an attachment point or barb etc for attaching a tube. I had all of this out when I replaced the evaporator.

There's also a tube exiting the firewall for draining the dashboard A/C plenum. This is approximately 1/2" in diameter and looks as though it would indeed have had a tube attached. Nothing there now though.

Let me know which one you're refering to. Maybe both!?

this did not have an attachment point or barb etc for attaching a tube.

Must have broke off??? The housing should have something there for the tube thru the firewall. Otherwise you floor board will be wet.

I will try and get a pic of the tube on my firewall..

I must be having a senior moment, or. All I have coming out of the firewall is a piece 1/2" tubing. Not sure if I can get a camera in there. I thought at on time there was a rubber 90degree tubing on it, slightly pinched on the end. Maybe not...:banghead:

EddieS'04,

Turn your A/C on and feel how much air is exiting the tube coming out of the firewall.

Also see what's coming out of the bottom of the evaporator housing inside the engine compartment. Right behind the accumulator and underneath the housing.

Mike, I will check it latter this evening.

It is all ready 99.6 degrees outside plus hot concrette.

I will jack it up I can roll under on my creeper, this time.

I will get back to you.

2001 evap core - this is located 100% in the engine compartment on mine. I too was ooking for a drain tube, but all I found was a hole in the bottom of the case that allows water to drip out. No way for the water to get to the passenger compartment.

I was surprised at how much cold air escapet - until i added a small can of refridgerant. It is now arctic cold.

No sealants, oil, or dye. Just refrigerant.

tony,

Thanks for chiming in here!

Mine's a 2004. Evaporator is housed entirely in the engine compartment as well. I just finished replacing my evaporator myself about a month ago now.

The evaporator housing as you say, has an opening incorporated immediately underneath for drainage. It does not feature an attachment point for connecting a drain hose or tubing.

The A/C plenum which is in the dashboard also has a drain incorporated which sticks out of the firewall facing the engine. This is a tube which is approximately 1/2" in diameter and on my truck does not have a tube or hose attached for draining. "EddieS'04" said he was going to have a look at his and see if there was anything attached to his.

I couldn't believe the amount of cold air that escapes both of these drains. I think I'm going to insert a tubing into the evaporator housing and extend it as long as is possible. This will certainly baffle the escaping air and still provide drainage.

As for the A/C plenum, I think I'll add a 90 degree elbow and put a duck-bill type end on it. this will allow drainage and also restrict the escaping air. I think CPVC fittings should be about right size and could easily be heated and formed for the duck-bill.:banana::driving: