Ethanol 85 Use

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Grasso

Reaction score
With the recent gas price issues I figured I would try E-85 for my next tank of fuel. I let the tank run almost to empty but when I went to one of the few Ethanol stations in my area the nozzle would not fit all the way into the gas filler. I put regular unleaded in and I called Ford and they checked my Vin Number and they say my 2005 is rated for enthanol. Any body have any thoughts about the nozzle issue. Also I hear the gas mileage gets worse with E-85 but at a buck ten cheaper a gallon I figured it was worth a shot.

$1.10 difference probably would justify switching. In MN where I've seen the E-85, it's only $0.50 cheaper so it's not worth it. My dad just got a 2011 Escape and he did his little math calculation and I think he said if he gets less than 3mpg difference in his car it would break even for him. I think he's been avergaing 23mpg w/ 87, so if he gets 21-22 w/ it it would be better. I haven't heard how he did when he put E-85 in it though.

I havent heard of any members that posted, about E-85. That made a mpg difference vs $$. Some cases were worse with E-85.

I've been averaging 12.8-13.2 mpg this past winter. Last summer did better at about 13.8 mpg. My son has a brand new 2011 F-150 with a V-8 and he was getting 22.5 with the Enthanol so I figure I will give it a shot. Regular unleaded around Nassau County New York is 4.03 to 4.19 and the E-85 is 2.99-3.199 so after this tank I will try the E-85 although still slight concern with the nozzle issue. Ford say it is good to go so I will try it.

I get 15-16 on regular gas and 12-13 on E85 I will not run it unless there is more than a $.50

difference or more

I figure it costs me about .25 per mile on regular @ $3.85 and about and .27 per mile @ 3.29 on E-85

other than that I have not noticed any difference other than smell of the exhaust

regards

Somehow here in Wisconsin, they've tied the price of E85 to the price of gasoline. If they priced it independent of gasoline like they should, E85 would be about $2 a gallon. I wonder who's making all the profit off of E85 overpricing.

The problem with E-85 fuel is it burns alot hotter and thus causes damage to the engines internals, todays motors already run hotter then in years past. I wouldn't do it if I had the flex fuel ST, not worth the damge IMHO.

I try not to support government subsidies that are harmful and doomed to failure from the beginning.

Plus, ethanol is not good for your engine, even if it is flex fuel. Assuming Jerry is telling the truth, which there is no reason to assume he isn't, I don't find that hard to believe at all.

I only buy from the gas station near me that has no ethanol in their gas.

It's rated for E-10 use, not E-85. E-85 takes more changes to the car for it to work properly, including the removal of aluminum and rubber parts in the fuel system, remapping the EFI, etc. Only vehicles with Ford's Felxible Fuel Vehicle logo (a green leaf and tree branch arrangement) will work on pure E-85 or a mixture of regular gas and E-85. The Sport Trac is not an FFV vehicle, hence the fuel nozzle does not fit to protect the vehicle from being improperly filled, just like a diesel fuel filler nozzle.

The info you got at Ford is incorrect or misinterpreted (it can take E-10).

HTH...

Mark

Mark & Dawn,

I think it may be you that is incorrect. Some of the Sport Tracs are indeed FFVs. They are made to run E-85. They even have a placard above the radiator that says that they are FFV and are made to run on FFV fuel like E-85.

That's a fact.

My '04 had just such a placard (though this pic doesn't do it justice). It states clearly that it is a Flexible Fueled Vehicle. The owner's manual indicated it was equipped to run on E-85.

[Broken External Image]:

I believe my '04 predates the green artwork and the different colored/sized fuel fill "standards" that Ford later employed.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran my Vin on the Ford site that someone posted here and it shows all the info about my truck from the "Build Date" . One of the items listed say FFV as a fuel. I'm going to check the plate on the front of my engine also.

Just think how lucky we are in Canada (Alberta).

It has been legislated that all gasoline will contain 10% ethanol and all diesel will contain 5% biodiesel.

Diesel is being averaged as the biodiesel will gel in cold weather and not work so much higher % in summer than in winter.

That must be something that was added later in production. Our '02 certainly does not state that (just that it is a LEV for CA vehicle for the 2002 model year) and I was pretty certain all Gen 1s were the same.

Personally I feel the Gen 1s are too old to use E-85 safely. We've built a couple of E-85 only race cars and they take some special fuel system requirements, carb tuning, etc. Ford may have stated "FFV" but remember that was before E-10 was mandated, so I still think running full E-85 is not a good idea for the Gen 1s, but that's just my opinion...

I've heard of some people mixing half a tank of gas with E-85, but you still have to get it into the tank somehow (filler adapter, funnel, etc.)...

Mark

The only difference in the E-10 and the E-85 Tracs, are . The fuel systems. They wil take longer to corrode. If they sitfor long periods they will corrode faster with E-85.

The motors are the same. Gerry is right. the Constant use of E-85 damamges the motors.

This was in a popular mechanics article a few months back.

I havent and I wont run E-85. Im stuck with E-10. All that is offered in my area. Now the Feds want to raise that to E-15.

Be sure and use the old or the new stabil in your fuel cans. Mowers, edgers and such. Popular mechanics explained the corrosion from E-10. Wreaking havoc on the fuel system. Sta-bil helps curb it.

E-85 is highly corrosive to fuel systems that are not made specifically for E-85. Most vehicles can tolerate up to about 10%-11% ethynol blended into gasoline without any harm. Vehicles designed to run on E-85 will have a yellow or green gas cap signifying that the it is safe to use E-85.

E-85 typically reduces fuel mileage by about 20%-25%, so you will have to do the math to calculated if your true fuel milage is offset by the lower cost. Also, many people report reduced performance with E-85, but then they were probably not looking for performance if they are trying to save money on fuel. My Mercedes requires 93 octane gas, but it will accept E-85 however my dealer advised against using it since performance would be severely compromised. There would be an obvious savings from premium gas to E-85, however I have never tried using E-85. There are not that many gas stations around here that sell E-85, so there is a big inconvenience factor in my using E-85, but I think I may give it a try just out of curiosity.

I personally am not a big supporter of using corn (food products) to make fuel. The increased use of corn to make ethynol fuels has already increased the cost of meat since corn is used in a lot of livestock feeds. It has been shown that Switch-Grass yields far more fuel per acre than corn, is not a food source, grows everywhere in the USA even in poor soil without adding expensive fertilzers, grows fast and can produce 2-3 crops a year.

The only reason farmers have not switched to growing Switch-Grass for fuel is that they are more familiar with growing corn and already have the equipment to plant and harvest corn.

Perhaps a government tax break incentive might convice farmers to start growing Switch-Grass for fuel on some portion of their land.

...Rich

Vehicles designed to run on E-85 will have a yellow or green gas cap signifying that the it is safe to use E-85.

RL, mine is E-85 but my cap is black. It does say E-85 capable on it, I think...

Latest posts