Equalizer Hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
I'm getting an Equalizer Hitch for my camper to help distribute the load better.

[Broken External Image]:

I haven't bought it yet but my camper's max load capacity is 4,400 all loaded up. I really load up the deck with bikes, coolers, eazy-ups and much more so the tail of the ST really sags quite a bit.

[Broken External Image]:

The hitch I'm looking at has a max of either 6,000, 8,000 or 10,000 pounds. I'm looking in the upper $400.00 range for the parts. The cost between the different ones are about $6.00 more for each weight class.

I'm looking at getting the 6,000 pound hitch - but I want to know if I should just go for the bigger one for a few extra dollars or am I just wasting my money with over-killing it.

Second question, are these easy to install? I believe it's just bolting the clamps on the frame of the camper. Are there any tricks or traps I should know about?

Note that I used to have a 30' trailer with the equalizer hitch on it many, many years ago and loved the way it towed. I didn't install it back then and don't remember how it installed.

Going camping next weekend but I don't plan on getting it done before that trip anyway.

Any advice would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should look into the "Roadmaster Active Suspension" system. It will help with ST sagging. I have it and it works great. I also tow with an anti-sway hitch. Make sure you make the bars tight when you set it up. I just recently got back from towing the camping for 5 hours and hardly felt the camper moving at all.

Gary,

I don't believe I can use this system - I have an 07 with Independent Suspension - no leaf springs.

I used to tow with an Anti-Sway bar but it didn't do anything. I've been towing for the past year without it and it doesn't sway one bit - even at 75mph, side wind and changing lanes. I guess that's because the greater portion of the weight in in front of the trailer wheels - thanks to the loaded deck. The unfortunate thing about the weight in front of the trailer wheels is that it puts more weight on the tongue - hence the sagging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spend the extra $$$ on the bigger hitch now. That way, if you ever decide to get a larger trailer again, you're prepared for it.

I have the 6000lb one and tow a 3800lb trailer with it (weighed on a CAT scale, ready for a week of camping). The problem with going with heavier hitch is how well the bars will flex. There does need to be some flex or you will get a really stiff ride and will feel a lot of the bumps.

All that being said, I REALLY like the Equalizer hitch. I've had it 5 years with no problems, and I probably tow 2000 miles/year with it. You do have to get used to the popping noises it makes, but once you realize that is normal, you just learn to ignore it...

I have Air Ride Ride Rite air springs in the back and they are awesome. I tow on a very regular basis, everything from a empty utility trailer, 24 foot boats, 20 foot hard walled trailers, everything. I used just a equalizer hitch for a while, but the air springs do much better than just the hitch.

You can't go wrong with the largest you can afford. If you ever need to sell it, it will be more desirable, worth more, making it easier to sell for more.

In case you are curious, the air springs were 225 from jc whitney. They were custom fit to the Trac, and took about an hour to install. Super easy and well worth it.

I used to tow with an Anti-Sway bar but it didn't do anything. I've been towing for the past year without it and it doesn't sway one bit - even at 75mph, side wind and changing lanes.

Interesting tid-bit of information...

My wife and I went on a tour of the factory that builds Trailmanor travel trailers. The engineer that gave us the tour made the statement that Trailmanor trailers do not reccommend any type of sway control. His comment was if you have sway in a trailer, you either have it loaded wrong or your tow vehicle is not up for the job.

He knew that weight distribution hitches were designed as sway control, but he was talking more about friction bars and stuff like that.

Tom

Latest posts